Media What is the best game, uncontested, youd die on that hill proudly

while i love the obv big wigs in the (J)RPG genre I will die on the hill of the Dark Cloud series 100% - loved the dungeon crawl and world/town rebuilding off inhabitants tips. I wish my old ps2 still read those games.
also I really enjoyed Okage: Shadow King and think anyone that enjoys those realms of games needs to play them. All 3 [Dark Cloud had 2 games] were on Playstation 2 but i'd implore anyone to play them --- tbf with the emulators getting more popular esp now i need to look into them more so perhaps i can again.

Super smash bros ultimate.
I don't care if you think melee is better, ultimate is 100% the best game ever made. There is a reason why I have 1220 hours in this game. It has so many options to choose from and even just fighting against level 9 cpus (which is like 40% of my time) is really fun. I don't care if its me vs the rest of the world, I would happily fight tooth and nail to prove I am right on this matter.
I will die on this hill before I bend on this matter.

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
ykw 2 was so epic and goofy at the same time.
i especially liked the small war, we need something like this in pokemon someday.
very important question: bony spirits or fleshy souls?
i picked bony spirits cause i rlly like arachnus

Last edited:
ykw 2 was so epic and goofy at the same time
i especially liked the small war, we need something like this in pokemon someday.
very important question: bony spirits or fleshy souls?
i picked bony spirits cause i rlly like arachnus
I also had bony spirits, though I also have the third version of yo kai watch 2, psychic specters.
Man, this is giving me such nostalgia, I wish the series had continued, the yo kai were so well designed, and I think the game helped me get into my fascination with japan's culture.

Just noticed I brought up Celeste in this thread without going on a multi-paragraph tirade about how fucking good that game is. I suppose I should go from my least favorite? like not bad just like the thing I paid attention to the least? to the absolute god-tier aspects of the game that skyrocket it to my favorite game of all time.

The first thing I'd like to talk about is the gameplay, just from a new player's perspective. When you open the prologue, a silly little bird tells you how to jump, climb, and dash. That's all you get for the tutorial. No hand-holding, no forced inputs, just "Here's the buttons. Have fun." (Yes, I do know that the first dash is forced, but you can skip it like a cutscene and it takes like half a second so it really doesn't count.) Shortly after that, the game will introduce you to the best part of the game by far: Momentum.

Put simply, you can conserve momentum from anything, and the window to do so is quite reasonable, being 5 frames after the momentum is shut down for the vast majority of tech. I know mentioning frames right at the start is kind of jarring, but it's going to save a lot of time a few paragraphs down. You can conserve momentum from moving blocks, from your own dashes, and even the slight speed boost from jumping. As you progress through the game, you'll notice multiple different types of moving blocks, which are activated differently. The traffic blocks in chapter 1 require you to just stand or grab on them, whereas the moving blocks in chapter 5 will be triggered with a dash regardless of whether you're standing on them or not. The difficulty does increase throughout the game, but it's really hard to notice (with the sole exception of chapter 3. FUUUUCK chapter 3.) and you don't notice how much you've improved until you revisit the older levels for completion (gathering the hearts and cassettes) and breeze through the rooms that previously gave you such a hard time.

The story itself is beautiful. Had I gone through the storyline for the first time today, rather than a few years ago when I was 12 and first played it, I legitimately would have cried. It's very simple. Our protagonist, Madeline, climbs a mountain in order to help her come to terms with her mental issues. So many games have tried and failed to handle these topics (a certain indie RPG comes to mind) but the way Celeste handles it is so truthful and understanding. It makes Madeline feel like a real person, because there are so many people who go through the same thing she does. A lot of stories about depression end with "Oh, the main character is fine now, happy ending everyone, let's go home" but in the end Madeline isn't cured, she comes to terms with the fact that her depression is Part of Her and she leaves the mountain a better person because of it. It's such an honest depiction of people's struggles with anxiety and depression. God, I love this game so much.

And now we get to the fun part. Learning how to play Celeste. The way I see things, the whole game is just a tutorial. The real fun in Celeste is how janky, yet perfectly refined, the movement is. As an example, let's take a very simple coding decision. When you dash, you gain a 1.2 times speed boost in any given direction that ends once the dash is over. However, to make the game flow just a little bit smoother, this speed boost is not lost when you dash downwards diagonally. Ordinarily, this would mean basically nothing. When you dash downwards and diagonally, you'd expect to either land on the ground or do a simple speedtech, such as a hyper or a wavedash. But what happens if you end that dash before touching the ground, and then conserved that momentum? Obviously, you are now moving 1.2 times faster than normal. So then, what exactly would happen if we dash downwards diagonally again? If you said you gain a second speed boost on top of the first one, you'd be correct. I introduce to you, Chained Ultras.

There is so much more tech like this. Minor oversights in how the game is programmed that would see absolutely zero impact on a standard playthrough can open up so much to the game. There truly is no end to how difficult the game can be. In the past year, the game has reached a point where at the highest level, managing subpixels, which is your location within a pixel, is mandatory. All this is why Celeste is one of, if not the greatest game of all time.

Thank you for coming to my ted talk

Anyways, here's a few more fun modded maps that are very comprehensible. If anyone wants me to explain the tech used, I'd be more than happy to.

Okay this isn't true it's Hollow Knight

S3 is my #2, I said it because it is rarer
as someone who has I think over 200 hours into just one save file in hollow knight, I don't think it is worthy of the best game of all time. there are very few flaws, and what is there is great, but I have spoken to some people who said that the game was not for them. the best game of all time should appeal to everyone. that is why I believe Minecraft is number 1. a lot of the answers people commonly pick, like hollow knight, portal 2, and Celeste don't apeal to everyone. I spoke to my aunt who stopped playing it, and she said that it was because she does not like platformers. I never considered the game that much of a platformer, but now that I think about it, queens gardens and crystal peak are almost entirely platform sections. it is very hard to make a game appeal to everyone. some other problems it might have for some people is that they have a bad memory and don't like exploring, and of course, the dificulty can make the game inaccesable to some people. minecraft is so popular because it is the very definition of accesible and has something for everyone. it gives you the option to basically turn off all challenge through a variety of features, and has something for everyone. with the addition of creative mode, if you don't like parts of a game, or if you somehow like none of it, good news, you can re-create the parts you like without the parts you don't, or make your own part of the game you do enjoy. this is why it is the best game of all time, because its universal appeal and accessibility is hard to top.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
as someone who has I think over 200 hours into just one save file in hollow knight, I don't think it is worthy of the best game of all time. there are very few flaws, and what is there is great, but I have spoken to some people who said that the game was not for them. the best game of all time should appeal to everyone. that is why I believe Minecraft is number 1. a lot of the answers people commonly pick, like hollow knight, portal 2, and Celeste don't apeal to everyone. I spoke to my aunt who stopped playing it, and she said that it was because she does not like platformers. I never considered the game that much of a platformer, but now that I think about it, queens gardens and crystal peak are almost entirely platform sections. it is very hard to make a game appeal to everyone. some other problems it might have for some people is that they have a bad memory and don't like exploring, and of course, the dificulty can make the game inaccesable to some people. minecraft is so popular because it is the very definition of accesible and has something for everyone. it gives you the option to basically turn off all challenge through a variety of features, and has something for everyone. with the addition of creative mode, if you don't like parts of a game, or if you somehow like none of it, good news, you can re-create the parts you like without the parts you don't, or make your own part of the game you do enjoy. this is why it is the best game of all time, because its universal appeal and accessibility is hard to top.
I don’t like Minecraft. Never have.

Describing Minecraft as some kind of enigmatic genreless game just isn’t accurate. It’s a sandbox, and sandbox is a genre, and it’s a genre that doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Yes you can build a wide variety of different experiences in Minecraft, but when you compare it to the joke answer in this thread of ROBLOX, it becomes clear how limited of a sandbox Minecraft really is. It’s far from a game where you can create any experience you want, you can only really create a select few, and while Minecraft has a lot of creativity it’s a certain type of creativity — that engineering, problem-solving and civil design type. That’s not a type of creativity that I ever really possessed as a child, and while I have more of it now, the slow pace and particularly inventory management of Minecraft can’t hold my attention. Inventory management which, by the way, is only accessible by using Google. Militant trial and error to try and craft stuff isn’t fun for most people and therefore isn’t accessible.

I’d liken it to Animal Crossing, another game which often makes people conflate a casual genre with “universal appeal”. Yes, more invested and hardcore gamers will be able to play Minecraft relatively easily, because it’s a very casual and accessible game, but that doesn’t mean they have to like the content within. If we’re going solely by accessibility, then Rock Paper Scissors is the greatest game of all time, no contest end of story. The tastes of the masses tend not to chase quality, and so going solely by accessibility isn’t very rational.

Now, granted, the second best selling game of all time may be a different argument here. If you want to put your chips into sales, GTA V is the game you want to back. It was the best selling game of all time for a long time, and Minecraft has only beaten it due to constant ports. Minecraft players tend to pick the game up a handful of times, too, so it’s outright probable that more individuals have played GTA V than Minecraft, as GTA V players tend to buy it once, maximum twice. The higher price of GTA V also has to factor in here, as it takes more from a game to sell at a higher price point than Minecraft which is pretty cheap.

GTA V has sandbox like elements thanks to its very open world and massive amount of side content, but it’s still a game with direction and missions, which is ultimately more appealing to most players than a complete sandbox experience. Until GTA VI next year, GTA V is probably the objective answer for best game right now, even if for the most part it’s only the favourite game of a certain section of society (adults who don’t play games very much but got swept up in the hype surrounding GTA V).

My personal answer is Xenoblade Chronicles, by the way. I’m not far in XC3 and would love to keep playing it more, so perhaps I’d end up agreeing with OP, but XC1 I played as a teenager and it is by far the longest most content-filled game that my ADHD let me see to the end, because it’s that good. I still think it has the best RTS battle system in a game (yes, better than XC3) and it truly has the most quality of life additions I’ve ever seen compressed into a game together. Add on a genuinely good story, good characters apart from Sharla who receives no real development but the base that’s there is good, and one of the most impressive open worlds especially considering the hardware it was on, and I think that XC1 was in many ways a peak for game development that hasn’t been matched since.

All this for me to say Hollow Knight is the best game of all-time

I don’t like Minecraft. Never have.

Describing Minecraft as some kind of enigmatic genreless game just isn’t accurate. It’s a sandbox, and sandbox is a genre, and it’s a genre that doesn’t appeal to everyone.

Yes you can build a wide variety of different experiences in Minecraft, but when you compare it to the joke answer in this thread of ROBLOX, it becomes clear how limited of a sandbox Minecraft really is. It’s far from a game where you can create any experience you want, you can only really create a select few, and while Minecraft has a lot of creativity it’s a certain type of creativity — that engineering, problem-solving and civil design type. That’s not a type of creativity that I ever really possessed as a child, and while I have more of it now, the slow pace and particularly inventory management of Minecraft can’t hold my attention.

I’d liken it to Animal Crossing, another game which often makes people conflate a casual genre with “universal appeal”. Yes, more invested and hardcore gamers will be able to play Minecraft relatively easily, because it’s a very casual and accessible game, but that doesn’t mean they have to like the content within. If we’re going solely by accessibility, then Rock Paper Scissors is the greatest game of all time, no contest end of story. The tastes of the masses tend not to chase quality, and so going solely by accessibility isn’t very rational.

Now, granted, the second best selling game of all time may be a different argument here. If you want to put your chips into sales, GTA V is the game you want to back. It was the best selling game of all time for a long time, and Minecraft has only beaten it due to constant ports. Minecraft players tend to pick the game up a handful of times, too, so it’s outright probable that more individuals have played GTA V than Minecraft, as GTA V players tend to buy it once, maximum twice. The higher price of GTA V also has to factor in here, as it takes more from a game to sell at a higher price point than Minecraft which is pretty cheap.

GTA V has sandbox like elements thanks to its very open world and massive amount of side content, but it’s still a game with direction and missions, which is ultimately more appealing to most players than a complete sandbox experience. Until GTA VI next year, GTA V is probably the objective answer for best game right now, even if for the most part it’s only the favourite game of a certain section of society (adults who don’t play games very much but got swept up in the hype surrounding GTA V).

My personal answer is Xenoblade Chronicles, by the way. I’m not far in XC3 and would love to keep playing it more, so perhaps I’d end up agreeing with OP, but XC1 I played as a teenager and it is by far the longest most content-filled game that my ADHD let me see to the end, because it’s that good. I still think it has the best RTS battle system in a game (yes, better than XC3) and it truly has the most quality of life additions I’ve ever seen compressed into a game together. Add on a genuinely good story, good characters apart from Sharla who receives no real development but the base that’s there is good, and one of the most impressive open worlds especially considering the hardware it was on, and I think that XC1 was in many ways a peak for game development that hasn’t been matched since.
what kind of games do you like. I guarantee that minecraft has something for you. it is an exploration game, a building game, a stealth game at times, a survival game, a combat game, a horror game at times, and that is just scratching the surface. it can be a platformer, a puzzle game, the list goes on and on. whatever you want it to be, Minecraft will be. list the types of games you like, and Minecraft can apply to that.

Ehhhh Minecraft is really half way on most of that
Take puzzle game for example
It may be that
But it’s not gonna be half the game smth like portal 2 or there is no game would be
Not that I’m expecting it to be that
Portal 2 real awesome btw 10/10 ost 8/10 story 10/10 gameplay 10/10 techniques goes on and on
Ramble might be coming soon.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
what kind of games do you like. I guarantee that minecraft has something for you. it is an exploration game, a building game, a stealth game at times, a survival game, a combat game, a horror game at times, and that is just scratching the surface. it can be a platformer, a puzzle game, the list goes on and on. whatever you want it to be, Minecraft will be. list the types of games you like, and Minecraft can apply to that.
You definitely didn't read my post closely, but anyway.

Minecraft is a great exploration game, and a good visual/aesthetic building game. It's a pretty bad survival, combat, horror, or stealth game, so they don't really support your argument. Just having a trait of a genre doesn't make it a part of that genre, and it certainly doesn't make it good at that genre.

I'm answering partly because my actual taste in games happens to be some of the genres you definitely can't claim Minecraft to be. Some of my favourite series are visual novels, such as Phoenix Wright, Danganronpa, or really Disco Elysium (it's pretty much a visual novel). Otherwise, 4X grand strategy appeals hard to me, though Civilization is the only one that I actually really enjoy, I think Civilization as a series is just the best at 4X and grand strategy separately, no contest. Otherwise, turn-based combat tends to appeal to me far more than action games / beat em ups, such as Pokémon, Super Auto Pets, Slay The Spire; though RTS and action games appeal sometimes (such as the prior Xenoblade Chronicles answer, though to be fair part of my respect for the game is it's not the type of genre I generally enjoy that much -- I always liked Toontown more than World of Warcraft as a kid, turn-based strategy just does it more for me).

So you could argue that Minecraft kind of fits into my fourth-favourite genre, because it has action elements, but it's not good at those action elements. It has incredibly simple combat, and it's combat that is much less compelling to me than something like Hyrule Warriors, Mortal Kombat, or Yakuza, which are combo-intensive and require far more skill than Minecraft's "choose weapon and then click button to attack" style of fighting.

BUT, even if Minecraft was able to convincingly be a good visual novel, or 4X grand strategy, or turn-based combat JRPG, or (yes) actually had a good combat system that you could create in it somehow... the point stands that having to make that yourself isn't something appealing to me. I don't want to play through a visual novel that I wrote myself, and Minecraft certainly doesn't have enough mechanics within it to be able to build a convincing or interesting 4X experience, but also when you design that 4X experience yourself it's impossible not to identify the exploits and combos between certain parts of the experience that you'd then easily exploit when playing it. I want my game to be made for me. Otherwise I'd call Unreal Engine the best game of all time, because that one really can be anything you want.

EDIT: Adding in roguelikes, which I've always had an extreme soft spot for and games like Super Auto Pets and Slay The Spire kind of fall under, but Hades is definitely the one for that. And again, Minecraft is not mechanically deep enough to be able to put together a convincing roguelike. There aren't enough powers or complexities that you could add in a self-built roguelike campaign to make it halfway decent at it. The best is just giving different weapons, and there are a few potions, but it would still make it the worst roguelike gameplay experience out of any roguelikes that anyone's heard of.

Last edited:
You definitely didn't read my post closely, but anyway.

Minecraft is a great exploration game, and a good visual/aesthetic building game. It's a pretty bad survival, combat, horror, or stealth game, so they don't really support your argument. Just having a trait of a genre doesn't make it a part of that genre, and it certainly doesn't make it good at that genre.

I'm answering partly because my actual taste in games happens to be some of the genres you definitely can't claim Minecraft to be. Some of my favourite series are visual novels, such as Phoenix Wright, Danganronpa, or really Disco Elysium (it's pretty much a visual novel). Otherwise, 4K grand strategy appeals hard to me, though Civilization is the only one that I actually really enjoy, I think Civilization as a series is just the best at 4K and grand strategy separately, no contest. Otherwise, turn-based combat tends to appeal to me far more than action games / beat em ups, such as Pokémon, Super Auto Pets, Slay The Spire; though RTS and action games appeal sometimes (such as the prior Xenoblade Chronicles answer, though to be fair part of my respect for the game is it's not the type of genre I generally enjoy that much -- I always liked Toontown more than World of Warcraft as a kid, turn-based strategy just does it more for me).

So you could argue that Minecraft kind of fits into my fourth-favourite genre, because it has action elements, but it's not good at those action elements. It has incredibly simple combat, and it's combat that is much less compelling to me than something like Hyrule Warriors, Mortal Kombat, or Yakuza, which are combo-intensive and require far more skill than Minecraft's "choose weapon and then click button to attack" style of fighting.

BUT, even if Minecraft was able to convincingly be a good visual novel, or 4K grand strategy, or turn-based combat JRPG, or (yes) actually had a good combat system that you could create in it somehow... the point stands that having to make that yourself isn't something appealing to me. I don't want to play through a visual novel that I wrote myself, and Minecraft certainly doesn't have enough mechanics within it to be able to build a convincing or interesting 4K experience, but also when you design that 4K experience yourself it's impossible not to identify the exploits and combos between certain parts of the experience that you'd then easily exploit when playing it. I want my game to be made for me. Otherwise I'd call Unreal Engine the best game of all time, because that one really can be anything you want.

EDIT: Adding in roguelikes, which I've always had an extreme soft spot for and games like Super Auto Pets and Slay The Spire kind of fall under, but Hades is definitely the one for that. And again, Minecraft is not mechanically deep enough to be able to put together a convincing roguelike. There aren't enough powers or complexities that you could add in a self-built roguelike campaign to make it halfway decent at it. The best is just giving different weapons, and there are a few potions, but it would still make it the worst roguelike gameplay experience out of any roguelikes that anyone's heard of.
first of all, Minecraft can make all your favorites game genres. unfortunately, those require command blocks, which are not accessible. however, a server with those would be accessible, without having to make it. now comes the question: do servers like hypixel count as part of minecrafts core experience? I think most people would argue no, but I could see that argument exist, as multiplayer is a large part of Minecraft. I would say that saying other minecraft servers is not a part of the core Minecraft experience is like saying that other peoples levels are not part of super Mario makers core experience. still, I think being able to make your own fun is an incredible feature, one that makes Minecraft far more appealing to a variety of audiences. though, I understand not everyone has the patience to do so.

that being said, survival Minecraft alone still apeals to a variety of audiences. and almost everything you said it is bad at, I disagree with. in terms of stealth, the deep dark is a very challenging stealth section. the first night can be horrifying for a new player, and even experienced players are terrified by the warden. its combat might be simple, but minecraft pvp is very much a well established part of the game, one that thousands of people find engaging enough to devote significant time to. also, the next update is going to shake things up a lot when it comes to Minecraft combat, even in single player. and as for your comment about it being a bad survival game, I could not disagree more. I would argue that minecraft is an incredible survival game. and with minecrafts numerous accessibility features, you can basically choose what part of the game you want to play. while it might not appeal to you specifically, even assuming that 9 out of 10 purchases of Minecraft were repurchases, that is still 30 million people who have bought the game. Minecraft is a global sensation, loved by millions. it definitely has widespread appeal.

Tea Guzzler

forever searching for a 10p freddo
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
seems like it's my turn to ramble

my take for the best game is terraria. the obvious comparison is to minecraft but i'm pretty confidently in the camp that terraria is better; i just value the edges terraria has (being an entire £8.50, simple and fun combat, much faster gameplay loop, better progression, replayability) over minecraft (exploration, multiplayer, building). the amount of replayability this game has is absurd, which is something immensely valuable to me, and the sheer amount of stuff to see and do makes it easy to keep coming back.

other "best game" contenders i've played include hollow knight, celeste, mario galaxy (either, though i personally prefer 2)

some more "good" games that i think fall short of contention for the best game but are still worth mentioning:
  • black ops 2: surprised nobody brought this up. it's just the best shooter; good single-player experience in the campaign and zombies, fun and fast multiplayer, has custom servers, endlessly replayable. held back by still being £40 on steam.
  • gta 5: pretty obvious shoe-in, but the replayability of multiplayer has been pretty long poisoned for me. there is no definite "end goal" for online; you just make money, but when the best money-making methods are high above the rest, resulting in you just redoing the same gameplay loops over and over again (re: me save-scumming the bogdan problem for $1.1m every 15-ish mins), the grind does start to just fall apart thanks to the only real fun bit in stunt races not being very profitable spare for the very rare 3x $ events. i also don't get how, as a new player, you're supposed to afford anything of value / that can make money without spending a tenner on the criminal enterprise pack.
  • minecraft: idk, minecraft is just kind of boring to me a lot of the time. i don't really enjoy creating grand structures and don't really do multiplayer with friends, leaving the single-player loop and public servers to offer. single-player just gets stale real quick because there's not really any objective beyond "get stuff, go kill this single boss" and the public servers are not very well broadcasted + most mini-game servers i remember just being simply uninteresting. maybe someone can change my mind but the stone-age combat and lack of active things to do hold this back.
  • stardew valley: it's supposed to be a relaxing experience, but somehow you end up having to plot and scheme with which crops get you the most money, whether you can do a help wanted quest and also spend the day mining, and the like, which is surprisingly fun. the big drawback is stuff being time-locked; you can run into a progression blockade where the only thing you can do is just wait for time to pass to actually get stuff you need, which can be up to 3/4 of the in-game year if you forgot a crop for a certain community center bundle and the travelling merchant never sells it.
  • elden ring: i don't think much needs to be said about why this game is good, but the nosedive in quality that is mountaintops of the giants + farum azula is a massive problem.
no mons games deserve to be anywhere near this list. every one is flawed well beyond anything else you can consider for here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)