Pokémon Ursaluna-Bloodmoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
1694639587530.png

Type:
1694639602552.png
/
1694639612355.png

Base Stats: 113 / 70 / 120 / 135 / 65 / 52 (BST: 555)

Ability: Mind's Eye (Normal/Fighting attacks can hit Ghosts, and this Pokemon's accuracy can't be lowered. Also ignores Evasion boosts. Essentially Keen Eye + Scrappy. This is its only ability)

New Signature Move: Blood Moon

BP: 140 | Acc: 100 | Type:
1694639615752.png
| Category: Special | Effect: Can't be used twice in succession (same as Gigaton Hammer)

• Blood Moon
  • Earth Power
  • Calm Mind
  • Moonlight
  • Moonblast
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk
  • Trailblaze
  • Taunt
  • Hyper Voice
  • Tera Blast
  • Vacuum Wave
  • Protect

Level Up Moves:
- [01] Scratch
- [01] Leer
- [01] Lick
- [01] Headlong Rush
- [08] Fury Swipes
- [13] Payback
- [17] Harden
- [22] Slash
- [25] Play Nice
- [35] Scary Face
- [41] Rest
- [41] Snore
- [48] Earth Power
- [56] Moonblast
- [64] Hammer Arm
- [70] Blood Moon
TM Learn:
- [TM001] Take Down
- [TM006] Scary Face
- [TM007] Protect
- [TM012] Low Kick
- [TM018] Thief
- [TM020] Trailblaze
- [TM025] Facade
- [TM028] Bulldoze
- [TM030] Snarl
- [TM031] Metal Claw
- [TM032] Swift
- [TM035] Mud Shot
- [TM036] Rock Tomb
- [TM043] Fling
- [TM046] Avalanche
- [TM047] Endure
- [TM049] Sunny Day
- [TM050] Rain Dance
- [TM055] Dig
- [TM058] Brick Break
- [TM061] Shadow Claw
- [TM066] Body Slam
- [TM067] Fire Punch
- [TM068] Thunder Punch
- [TM069] Ice Punch
- [TM070] Sleep Talk
- [TM071] Seed Bomb
- [TM084] Stomping Tantrum
- [TM085] Rest
- [TM086] Rock Slide
- [TM087] Taunt
- [TM088] Swords Dance
- [TM089] Body Press
- [TM102] Gunk Shot
- [TM103] Substitute
- [TM108] Crunch
- [TM117] Hyper Voice
- [TM121] Heavy Slam
- [TM129] Calm Mind
- [TM130] Helping Hand
- [TM133] Earth Power
- [TM149] Earthquake
- [TM150] Stone Edge
- [TM152] Giga Impact
- [TM158] Focus Blast
- [TM163] Hyper Beam
- [TM171] Tera Blast
- [TM172] Roar
- [TM179] Smack Down
- [TM184] Vacuum Wave
- [TM186] High Horsepower
- [TM191] Uproar
- [TM192] Focus Punch
Reminder:
- Moonlight

Overview:

Ursaluna-Bloodmoon has several interesting traits over its Hisuian counterpart, chief among them being its access to Moonlight for recovery, access to a very strong special nuke in Blood Moon, priority in Vacuum Wave, and slightly higher speed tier notably letting it potentially outrun Kingambit. Additionally, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon being a special attacker means it won't need to run Flame Orb for power, allowing it to run an item like Leftovers or Heavy-Duty Boots to allow for even more longevity. Ursaluna-Bloodmoon looks to be a very strong bulky setup Pokemon, and can even function well under Trick Room thanks to its low speed and high power. That's not to say that Ursaluna-Bloodmoon is strictly better than its Hisuian counterpart, as it lacks the immediate breaking power that makes Hisuian Ursaluna a strong wallbreaking option instead. Because of this, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon plays quite differently, and your expectations when using this Pokemon should be adjusted accordingly.

Tera Potential:

• 1694826614535.png
    : Tera Fairy is Ursaluna-Bloodmoon's best option defensively, as it allows to shed its Fighting weakness for a resistance, allowing to accrue more Calm Mind boosts and continue to snowball. It also gives it a Dragon immunity, which can be useful into the likes of Dragapult, Baxcalibur, and Dragonite. Can also be nice to power up the fringe Moonblast.
  • 1694826706935.png
    : Tera Fighting is a decent offensive option, as it gives Ursaluna-Bloodmoon STAB on Vacuum Wave, allowing it to function better as a late game clean
  • 1694826785975.png
    /
    1694826807104.png
    : Both Normal and Ground serve the same purpose of augmenting one of Ursaluna-Bloodmoon's STABs into an absolute nuke. I'd recommend Tera Normal more here, as the power of Tera Normal Blood Moon/Hyper Voice is immense compared to its other options.
  • 1694826905169.png
    /
    1694826914866.png
    /
    1694826923419.png
    /
    1694826934604.png
    : All of these types serve the same purpose of giving Ursaluna-Bloodmoon an alternative defensive typing. I believe Fairy is the best defensive typing for Ursaluna-Bloodmoon, but these are other options to consider should you want Ursaluna-Bloodmoon to check/set up on other things.
In conclusion, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon looks to be a solid abuser of more defensive teras (particularly Fairy) to give it setup turns to get a sweep going. Offensive teras are also viable, but may not be as consistent as Tera Fairy.

Potential Sets:

Bulky Calm Mind (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Mind's Eye
Tera Type: Fairy / Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight / Vacuum Wave / Protect
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power

This is your basic Ursaluna-Bloodmoon set, meant to function on bulkier teams as a semi-wallbreaker/late game wincon. Calm Mind boosts Ursaluna-Bloodmoon's already high Special Attack to further absurd levels, while shoring up its rather pithy Special Defense. Moonlight offers a form of recovery that can help keep going throughout the match, while Vacuum Wave with tera fighting can offer an interesting option against offensive teams. Protect is an option that allows Ursaluna-Bloodmoon to both stall Blood Moon's recovery period as well as rack up Leftovers recovery. Blood Moon is an incredibly strong Normal STAB option, capable of denting even resists such as non SpDef Corviknight and Gholdengo., the latter of which thanks to its ability. Earth Power works well Blood Moon as it rounds out your dual stab, and hits most of what you want to hit for good damage. Ideally, a set like this would come in off a pivot from a partner such as Cinderace or Zapdos, get a Calm Mind off, and start poking holes in the opposing team. As a late game wincon, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon with Vacuum Wave can clean up weakened teams, but you're ideally trying to leverage its bulk to finish the opponent before they can finish you.

Trick Room Attacker (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Tera Type: Normal / Ground / Fighting / Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice / Blood Moon
- Earth Power
- Vacuum Wave
- Moonblast / Calm Mind / Tera Blast

If you want to use Ursaluna-Bloodmoon under Trick Room (instead of Hisuian Ursaluna for whatever reason), this set would be it. Using its high Special Attack and decent coverage, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon can blow holes in the opposing team, allowing a teammate to come in and cleanup the game. Be careful to not run Blood Moon with Choice Specs on this set, unless you're intentionally going for a one-time use nuke button that completely saps your momentum. The rest of the set should be self-explanatory, though the last slot can be a bunch of different things. Calm Mind can give you more firepower, Moonblast is probably your next best coverage option (smacking Zamazenta and Baxcalibur is pretty nice), and Tera Blast can be used with Tera Fighting to give you a makeshift special Fighting STAB.

Conclusion:

Ursaluna-Bloodmoon looks to be a rather threatening bulky wallbreaker/late game cleaner in the OU metagame. While lacking the raw power of its Hisuian counterpart, its solid bulk, surprising longevity, and access to Calm Mind make it a very potent bulky setup mon on both Screens and more balanced teams. It has more competition on Trick Room builds due to Hisuian Ursaluna's higher immediate power, but seeing as how Trick Room has struggled for viability in OU, this downside is fairly moot. Over all, while Hisuian Ursaluna's reputation and history might make Ursaluna-Bloodmoon seem like a potentially mediocre pick at first glance, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon is more than capable of stealing games and outlasting opponents.

EDIT 1: Added Protect both as a notable move and to the Calm Mind moveset.

EDIT 2: Rewrote the analysis to be more favorable and more accurate to Ursaluna-Bloodmoon's place in the meta.

EDIT 3: Added Tera Potential section.

Attachments

Last edited:
This thing got perhaps the most bizarre and unexpected stat distribution in a hot minute. It seems decent, but the regular Ursaluna is already a mon that's quite hard to use and this one has the unique honor of actually needing multiple turns of setup to get going.

That being said, Vacuum Wave goes hard. If this mon didn't have Excadrill's stats in all the wrong places having what is pretty much Scrappy priority is pretty unique into offensive teams. But yeah, I'm inclined to agree that this guy doesn't really have a good shot here in OU.

How does Ursaluna-BM get access to Moonlight?

Also, regular Ursaluna has to wait around for its flame orb to activate, while Usraluna-BM does not, so if anything it has more immediate power. That said I agree that regular Ursaluna is probably better, and that the given sets still look to me like the way you'd use it regardless.

252+ SpA Life Orb Ursaluna Blood Moon (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 242-286 (52.1 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Ursaluna Vacuum Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 140-166 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO

I dont think anything can switch into blood moon and not get beamed by earth power, vaccum wave, or even smt like tera blast fire for corv (blissey can switch in and take at minimum 27% unless its assault vest or smt, so stall still has hope), but honestly this thing also suffers from 4mss. There's also the opportunity cost of not being able to use hisuian ursaluna if you use this, so that might be a problem
(dont ask what the calcs are for)

I think this thread ins underrating this Pokémon. It fixes some of Ursaluna’s major problems; regular Ursaluna compromises a lot of its bulk by constantly wearing itself down with Guts, and this forme not only doesn’t do that, but it also possesses actual RECOVERY. Additionally, Blood Moon fucking hurts, and since it has built-in Scrappy plus Ground STAB, nothing really switches into it. I genuinely think Ursaluna-BM is BETTER than its counterpart instead of worse.

I think this thread ins underrating this Pokémon. It fixes some of Ursaluna’s major problems; regular Ursaluna compromises a lot of its bulk by constantly wearing itself down with Guts, and this forme not only doesn’t do that, but it also possesses actual RECOVERY. Additionally, Blood Moon fucking hurts, and since it has built-in Scrappy plus Ground STAB, nothing really switches into it. I genuinely think Ursaluna-BM is BETTER than its counterpart instead of worse.
I honestly think this Pokémon is best ran with max physical bulk, so you can just set-up multiple times with Calm Mind, since you like running Moolight anyways. The worse special bulk isn’t as much as a problem because of it, especially without a burn wearing you down.

Last edited:
But introduces its own problems. It's not immune to status like regular Ursaluna (cuz already burned), facade is the same power and can be used every turn and can be boosted with swords dance but blood moon has to be every other turn making it predictable and easier to switch on and it doesn't have nasty plot as an option, it's ground move options are notably weaker (lower power, no guts), its attacking stat is technically 5 points lower, less move options overall making its set more predicable.

Will need to see it in practice to truly know. I'll definitely use it cuz it looks cool.

Been using this specific cm set:

Ursaluna-Bloodmoon @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Blood Moon
- Earth Power

This mon is honestly quite threatning. If you switch into passive mons like corv or slowking it can get one cm then get a guaranteed kill since its bulk is actually incredible. I don't see it doing much in Baxcalibur meta but once its gone I can envision it to become a very good calm mind mon, especially since it can brute force many teams.

If Hisuian Ursaluna is Cocaine Bear, Bloodmoon Ursaluna is Meth Bear. Probably won't be OU since it's less bulky than Hisuian Ursaluna, but in the lower tiers... good luck walling this thing.
I wouldn’t say that as Hisuian Ursaluna uses Guts on most sets, which means its constantly being chipped. Bloodmoon doesn’t have this problem since it’s not reliant of Guts Flame Orb. It also has Moonlight so it definitely has more longevity despite what the raw numbers say.

Hey all, just wanted to let y'all know that I decided to rewrite a bit of the analysis here as I felt as though I severely undersold what Ursaluna-Bloodmoon was capable of, and made it seem like it was much worse of a pick than it actually is. That's my fault, and for a mon both as threatening as Ursaluna-Bloodmoon and as hyped up, I didn't want to let my poor negative analysis slip by. I've rewritten it to be much more favorable (though still contrasting Ursaluna-Bloodmoon to the OG), so hopefully you'll find the analysis a bit more compelling. I also plan on adding a section on tera potential like in other analyses.

As a sidenote, has anyone tried AV Ursaluna-Bloodmoon? I figured it wouldn't be a good set at all because of its meager SpDef, and the opportunity cost of running AV over Calm Mind. Do you think I'm right on the money here?

I would suggest swapping the EVs of HP for Special Defense. Patches up its special defense and makes it surprisingly bulky on the special side, and actually allows it to setup in front of special attackers who can't hit it for super effective damage

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 205-243 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note that after this, Gholdengo special attack drops by one stage, whereas Luna can use Calm Mind. After that, it can use Moonlight to recover lost health. Gholdengo dies to Vacuum Wave after enough boosts have been accumulated

Specially Bulky Calm Mind (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 SpD
0 Atk IVs
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Blood Moon
- Vacuum Wave

Last edited:
I would suggest swapping the EVs of HP for Special Defense. Patches up its special defense and makes it surprisingly bulky on the special side, and actually allows it to setup in front of special attackers who can't hit it for super effective damage

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: 205-243 (55.8 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note that after this, Gholdengo special attack drops by one stage, whereas Luna can use Calm Mind. After that, it can use Moonlight to recover lost health. Gholdengo dies to Vacuum Wave after enough boosts have been accumulated

Specially Bulky Calm Mind (Ursaluna-Bloodmoon) @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 4 HP Atk / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
0 Atk IVs
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Blood Moon
- Vacuum Wave
You invested into Attack instead of SpA. Also imagine using Vacuum Wave instead of Earth Power.

Last edited:
You invested into Attack instead of SpA. Also imagine using Vacuum Wave instead of Earth Power. Gholdengo is immune to it.
Mind's Eye gives Ursaluna the same effect as scrappy (ignores ghost immunities), so Ghold is not in fact immune to Vacuum Wave out of ursa. Still seems like earth power might be better, but I can see the value in having a priority move to shoot off

Mind's Eye gives Ursaluna the same effect as scrappy (ignores ghost immunities), so Ghold is not in fact immune to Vacuum Wave out of ursa. Still seems like earth power might be better, but I can see the value in having a priority move to shoot off
Forget I said that. Still, using Vacuum Wave instead of Earth Power is pretty ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)