Resource SV Ubers UU Viability Rankings (Post #94 for February Shifts)

Azumarill from C+ to at least B.
Azumarill's strength with huge power is obvious but the thing I think people sleep on is it's surprising bulk, especially with assault vest. I was just ranting about Azu calcs on the discord for fun but unironically it's good. It is able to live hits it has no business living and hit back hard in return. It's main gimmick is obviously that it completely destroys Palkia-O, even able to live 2 thunderbolts if it comes to that and easily ohko. Some other notable Azu Ws are: 2hkoing the likes of Palafin, Gholdengo, and Espathra while eating their attacks, outdamaging fully defensive Dialga with superpower, living Lando sludge bomb and ohkoing, and outdamaging soft boiled on Blissey, just to name a few. It is able to make up for it's abysmal speed with aqua jet and has access to knock off for some utility. It can even use it's low speed with belly drum in trick room to become the fastest and deadliest mon in the tier for a few turns.
Obviously it's biggest weakness is that it is usually outclassed by Zacian as a fairy type and Palafin as a physical water type with priority, however on teams particularly weak to Palkia-O or don't want to use either of those two it is a good choice. Also, neither of them can really stand to the Azumarill bulk while keeping their important stats high. I'm not about to say it's high tier but it does not deserve the Cs. Get it outta there.

Arceus-Psychic from B- to B
It fullfills the same role as Arceus Fighting with benefits, such as STAB on Stored Power, Resisting the previous listed moves and being able to run different sets more efficiently (specifically calm mind taunt)

(roblox eating sound effect) om nom noms

:giratina: A- to A
Personally, I think this is the best hazard control in the tier. Giratina fits absurdly well on balance and stall alike, combining all the useful resists of Dragon with Ghost's Poison resist for Poisonceus and access to Roar, Defog, Hex, Thunder Wave, and Will-O-Wisp. It can do a ton of stuff for a team depending on what set its running, I could even see Draco working for smacking a Palk-O that's getting cocky switching in. Severely underrated imo.
:dondozo: A to A-
I'm sorry, I do not get the hype around this guy outside of stall. He just doesn't feel good on balance. Extremely slow and passive until it gets set up, beat by any phasing which is very common in current meta, absolutely shat on by Palk-O and Dialga, I think it really is just a stall mon. Not bad on stall by any means, it's the best Zacian check in the game, but there are a lot of downsides to it.
:ninetales: UR to C
A niche secondary sun setter, Ninetales sets itself apart from Torkoal through its higher speed and access to Encore and Healing Wish. This lets it heal up a damaged Scarf Chi-Yu and/or Specs Walking Wake in the back that would otherwise be unable to clean a team. Don't think of it as a replacement for Torkoal's sun, but as a supplement. I think double sun setter teams are perfectly viable in this meta, if specific, and deserve a placement with mons like The Fairy One and Crocalor down there.

:Garchomp: -> B+

Perhaps this nomination is coming a bit too early (or late depending on your POV), but Garchomp feels REALLY good in this tier. Ground STAB has very limited switch-ins among the top ranks (namely dealing super effective damage to two of the best Steel, Dialga and Magearna) and Garchomp's Dragon STAB is also quite a bit more potent here than in OU due to multiple high tiers being weak to Drgaon, as well as Scale Shot bypassing Substitue (specifically nice vs Shed Tail Cyclizar). 102 Speed is also a fantastic speed tier, as it trolls quite a few key breakers that I see on several structures like Urshifu, Baxcalibur (though chomp doesn't particularly match-up well vs Bax due to Ice Shard), Chi-Yu, and Landorus-I.

The main set I have had success with is the lead Sash set, which can setup rocks reliably and can deal a nice chunk of damage to various other leads such as Cyclizar, Palafin, Landorus-I, Dialga, and Magearna. Being able to deal additional chip damage to the likes of Zacian or Palafin with Rough skin is a nice perk, putting them well in the range for your own breakers like Pult, Zacian, or the like with a few rounds of hazard chip. Ladder games aren't the best metric, I understand, but there are a fair few games where it feels like Chomp just 6-0es off of lead if it gets the correct read with Scale Shot, which leads to the opponent bringing in a mon like Zacian in early to revenge kill it. Forcing in a mon like Zacian to force a revenge kill is quite invaluable, as it reduces its threat level a great deal later in the game

This nom might be coming a bit late, since Corv and Dozo give Chomp quite a bit of trouble, but even against those Pokemon, chomp can go mixed and lure them in for a potential partner like Zacian, though not running Sash does lower its threat level a bit.

I do not understand the dropping of Arceus-Psychic and it's tiering below Arceus-Fighting
Simply put, Psychic is just a terrible typing overall, among the worst in the game. It has one useful resistance (Fighting) and is walled by several common types, namely Steel and Dark. Stored Power STAB is not enough to keep Arceus-Psychic high in the VR, especially when Espathra, a Stored Power user that can snowball much more quickly and hits harder, is in the tier. Combine that with phazing being very common and it's a bit hard to justify, though not completely unviable.
The reason Arceus-Fighting is tiered higher is due to it getting STAB on Body Press, which has more immediate power, as well as a resistance to Dark moves and Stealth Rock. It's still not very good though.

Simply put, Psychic is just a terrible typing overall, among the worst in the game. It has one useful resistance (Fighting) and is walled by several common types, namely Steel and Dark. Stored Power STAB is not enough to keep Arceus-Psychic high in the VR, especially when Espathra, a Stored Power user that can snowball much more quickly and hits harder, is in the tier. Combine that with phazing being very common and it's a bit hard to justify, though not completely unviable.
The reason Arceus-Fighting is tiered higher is due to it getting STAB on Body Press, which has more immediate power, as well as a resistance to Dark moves and Stealth Rock. It's still not very good though.
So, essentially, you are saying Body Press is more import than Stored Power? If not correct me

Qbking3

Banned deucer.
So, essentially, you are saying Body Press is more import than Stored Power? If not correct me
I’m not Bice but yeah that’s a massive part of it. Body press from an Arceus fighting is immediately threatening while stored power boost in the grand scheme of things, doesn’t make too much of a difference as if you are in a spot where you are clicking stored power, you are likely already at +3 or more in both defenses at which point you have basically already won.

A fairy has been doing analysis of the tour, and well, so did I during the same period independently, and currently working on week 2.
I have now some opinions about the tier positioning based on what I've seen so far, so I have 2 crazy picks due to the current context.
1702608936909.png
: From unranked to C+.
Yes, LEAVANNY. In case you forgot (And I don't blame you for doing so) Leavanny is a web setter since gen 6, the fastest in fact in UUbers at the moment outspeeding Cutiefly's 84 base speed. Its main advantage is being useful for something outside webs and paralysis with actual stats, most notably knock off support and situationally useful Grass and Bug STAB, alongside outspeeding neutral 100 and +nature 90, making it quite taunt-resilient as well and therefore more likely to get the web set.
While Leavanny was entirely absent on week 1, I saw this bug 4 times, all resulting in victory. Sticky Web is quite valuable considering the movepool it opens to their teammates not having to worry about speed, and Leavanny is the fastest one, therefore the most likely to do something outside web, specially because it also has something resembling defensive utility and offensive pressense. Even if the niche will disappear entirely in January due to Galvantula, Leavanny does have something quite good going for right now. Here are those 4 matches from 3 people with 3 different teams, and Lily's game 2 represents what I'm saying the best.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubersuu-2010307788 (Lily 1)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubersuu-2010799951 (Wellhell)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ubersuu-735115 (Bouff)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ubersuu-735121 (Lily 2)

In conclussion, I'm saying that Leavanny is a worthy consideration for Gholdengo Web teams if you care about speed and knock off, which you might because knock off isn't the most available move on leads, and outspeeding stuff like timid Gholdengo or Adamant Palafin is a genuinely useful trait only Leavanny and Ribombee have alongside webs, the latter being too busy on Ubers.

1702595081825.png
: From Untiered to C+/C (Post-DLC).

For the unaware, the DLC got released, and with that Weavile is regaining Triple axel (aka Ice Focus Blast), making it properly function in the higher tiers. While it's still frailer than Sneasler even without considering the Ice typing (46,812/58,092 of Weavile vs 47,112/59,192 of Sneasler), Weavile has a key advantage compared to other Ice types in the tier: It outspeeds Arceus and Cyclizar. Here are some of the examples who I feel might be relevant.

252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zacian: 252-297 (77.3 - 91.1%) -- approx. 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Dialga: 237-282 (58.6 - 69.8%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Palkia-Origin: 279-333 (86.9 - 103.7%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Palafin: 292-345 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Arceus-Poison: 210-252 (47.2 - 56.7%) -- approx. 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Grass: 474-564 (106.7 - 127%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chi-Yu: 168-198 (66.9 - 78.8%) -- approx. 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 80 Def Volcarona: 285-336 (76.2 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 408-480 (127.8 - 150.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cinderace: 285-336 (94.3 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Baxcalibur: 300-354 (80.8 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Urshifu: 279-333 (81.5 - 97.3%) -- approx. 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 246-291 (62.4 - 73.8%) -- approx. 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Multiscale Tera Normal Dragonite: 242-287 (74.9 - 88.8%) -- approx. 2HKO. Btw, in reality it's even better because the first hit has 20 BP, not 40, so is more akin to 81-95%.
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 152 HP / 244+ Def Tera Fairy Espathra: 279-327 (75.6 - 88.6%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Triple Axel (40 BP) (3 hits) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring: 324-381 (107.2 - 126.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Btw, almost all of those damages are gotten because of Triple axel to highlight the relevance of "Ice Focus blast" to its role in the tier.
Does this make Weavile top tier? Of course not, there's not a massive demand for Ice types, it's still frailer than its Hisuan counterpart and is reliant on Choice band to gets its damage making it very weak to rocks as well as prediction-reliant, but the important thing I'm trying to say is that it's gaining an actual niche worth considering of an Ice type wallbreaker with STAB Knock off, the fastest Ice and Dark type in fact making it able to outspeed Arceus, Cyclizar and even Meowscarada... Making Darkrai even more useless.
That being said, it's post DLC, so it's not current version who doesn't deserve a ranking, but the one we should give as soon as Smogon updates to include the new moves and pokémon.

... Did I followed the ruling of nominations? I hope so.

With week 2 finished I have some extra conclussions about the meta

S tier

1703441693755.png
Zacian-Hero from S- to S

The dog is just roughly as influential for the metagame as magearna, barely behind the robot and the gap is getting reduced each week. It's evident Zacian-Hero is our best sweeper, with lots of teams designed to check this pokémon and is still thriving; heck, a big reason why Magearna is so good is because Zacian-Hero is great and Magearna can soft check it, and yet is still thriving in competitive, forcing the meta to revolve around it; glad Solgaleo is dropping next month, because this thing felt too good for a while now.

1703441732428.png
Dialga from A+ to S-

This meta has seen a heavy development of our Steel types and Dialga has been overperforming in tournaments a lot. The reason is that he's the Swiss Knife of UUbers. While its standard set is good, the real strength of this pokémon is in how it can mix-and-mash movepools and sets: Offensive trickroom setter, defensive support with roar/dragon tail, offensive support with timid nature and even mix attacker with heavy slam or eject button sets. The only limits to Dialga is its below average 90 speed and the fact it did not got meteor beam.

1703441770754.png
Cyclizar from S- to A+

Shed Tail is not working as well as one would think. It has knock off, shed tail, rapid spin, regenerator and speed. Sadly that comes at the cost of any offensive or defensive capabilities. Its most threatening move against Arceus is, I'm not even joking, Rapid spin from uninvested 95 attack, while Arceus-Fire can 2HKO it with a resisted Flare Blitz. This makes shed tail less of a free turn and more of a turn exchange quite often. It has the chance of firing oddly good Draco Meteors, but that's a risky option considering the abundance of fairy and steel types.

1703441786939.png
:Toxic Plate: Arceus-Poison from S- to A+

People has been teching more ground to check a lot of powerful meta threats, most notably the many steel types and arceus forms. That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't because Arceus-Poison oftentimes suffers from passivity or unreliability, either failing to OHKO Zacian with poison Jab or Uninvested Judgement, or failing 20% of the time due to gunk shot, which makes it a shakier check to fairies than you would want it to be. Is not like it's bad or anything, just not as good as a S rank would suggest.

A tier

1703443200357.png
:Dread Plate:
Arceus-Dark from A+ to A
Now I'm able to recognize its defensive talents when Zacian is not present, most notably against the increasingly popular ghost types... The problem is that Zacian is gaining a lot of popularity, making it unreliable at times and definitely not as splashable as one would think, considering it is mostly part of fat teams, not regular offense, is forced oftentimes to not invest into speed which can cause problems against many offensive threats and is kinda passive at times when forced to recover.

1703443259805.png
Palafin from A+ to A

It is mostly issues of being a bit too predictable and reliant on Jet Punch to work due to average 100 speed and 100 | 97 | 87 bulk, making it less of a wallbreaker and more of a revenge killer considering it's walled by Giratina and many dondozo sets. Is quite good at revenge killer but it also sacrifices a turn doing nothing, which is punishing to get in a format full of legendaries. Don't get me wrong, it's arguably the 2nd most snowbally pokémon in the tier after Sneasler, but often it has to overcome an uphill battle.

1703443219560.png
:Meadow Plate: Arceus-Grass from A to A-

It has been declining a tiny bit lately due to how common fire and Poison Arceus are. Just like Poison, is a bit too passive of a pokémon, with the added hazzle of a worse defensive typing. Sometimes Grass is indeed the optimal typing for a team, most notably to deal with Water and Ground which is quite a desirable trait, but due to how Grass is quite bad on offense this pokémon oftentimes suffers from 4MSS, unlike most Arceus forms who work properly with 2 attacks, a boosting move and recover.

1703443625800.png
Dragapult from A- to A

Dragapult's speed is more useful than you might expect. It was a top 10 usage last week with numbers akin to Gholdengo. The main reason is its hability to spread and abuse status, most notably thunder wave + Hex who gives a lot of valuable speed control, alongside being a very flexible pokémon overall; It can be a mix attacker with Dragon Darts, run double status + Hex, be a Specs user, a screens suicide lead, a mix attacker with double status and even banded. It can also either ignore screens or webs, making it quite good against most HO structures, as well as a good partner for HO teams itself, and is a master of abusing Chip damage, a reason you see it commonly alongside Garchomp. All in all, a meta defining pokémon despite its looks.

1703443703115.png
Zamazenta-Crowned from A to A-

I think most of us can agree we overhyped Zacian's defensive/offensive capabilities. It is truth that is faster than Arceus, is almost impossible to defeat on the physical side and iron press hurts, but is also vulnerable on the special side, weak to the newly added defensive pokémons and lacks reliable recovery. Mono-fighting is just not that good offensively and its coverage is oftentimes too weak due to relying on weak moves and uninvested attack.

1703443795218.png
Corviknight from A- to B+

Corviknight is far more niche than one would think, and the reason being that steel has 3 incredible options in Magearna, Dialga and Gholdengo, all of which are less prone to become setup fodders. It has defog, but it sucks at defogging against Gholdengo teams which is a big problem, while Giratina at least has STAB ghost moves. In short, a sight only on defensive teams, which while not uncommon partially due to Corviknight and Dondozo, are also far from a meta Staple atm.

1703443730706.png
Garchomp from B to A-

I know, a bold proposal, but the meta is definitely supporting Garchomp antics. It has been a consistently high performing pokémon in the tournament I've been watching upclose because of oddly similar stuff to gen 4 Ubers of being just good against many of the legendaries; the reason would be being the fastest competent ground type in UUbers, outspeeding both 100 speed and Landorus, and Between speed, hazards and rough skin it's just a great pokémon at putting opponents in KO range and accumulating percentages.

1703443755421.png
Walking Wake from A- to B

On the other side of the Dragon spectrum we have Walking Wake, a worse Dialga-Origin outside Sun. Sun has been an alright style but it lacks consistency due to certain factor called Torkoal, and Walking Wake, being so reliant on the sun to do anything where is not outclassed, should reflect this trend of Sun becoming less powerful of a style.

B and C tier require further explanation so I'll let it for another commentary, because lower tiers due to being less used have less reliable info about them. Farewell and happy Newton's birthday for everyone... No, I'm not atheist, just aware that Jesus was not born on December of -1 B.C but earlier.

from C to UR

Cutiefly's best niche in the tier, being the fastest relevant webs mon, doesnt exist anymore as galvantula has fallen into the tier. On top of that, its reletivly low stats everywhere but speed mean that it has no relevant meta prevelance at all. It wasnt good before galvantula dropped, but now it is just entirely outclassed in every way except for the fact that galvantula does not have taunt. but there is nothing that you can reliably get a taunt off on before hand that you are also likely to see in the lead match up.

Qbking3

Banned deucer.
:Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate: A+ to S
Arceus-Dark is far and away the best Arceus form day 1 of the DLC2 meta. With new drops like :Lugia:, :Solgaleo:, :Mewtwo:, :Deoxys:, and :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings:, it's value has gone up significantly. THE SET is the one being used right now as it is uniquely equipped to deal with the new shifts. Judgement is very strong when it's Dark type thanks to the aforementioned drops and it can break through some of its resistances like :Magearna: thanks to Calm Mind, Recover, and Taunt. The utility of Taunt allows for it to beat the new Sticky Web leads, Trick Room which has picked up massively thanks to mainly :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: and prevent phasing from Roar and Whirlwind.

:Zacian: S- to A+
Thanks to New Drops such as :Skarmory: and :Solgaleo: walling Zacian without specifically Tera Fire Tera Blast alongside :Deoxys: :Life Orb: and :Zekrom: after a Dragon Dance threatening it offensively, it's no longer feels unmanageable as teams tend to handle it naturally even more than they did before. It's still a powerhouse, however it no longer has a chokehold on the metagame like it used to.

:Arceus-Poison: :Toxic Plate: S- to A-
With the new drops, Arceus-Poison fell off a cliff. The meta went from having next to no Ground and Psychic types to a good number of them. :Mewtwo:, :Deoxys:, and :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: are all problems for it. The Addition of :Landorus-Therian:, :Great Tusk:, and :Iron Treads: can also cause it problems. Pile this on top of the fact that the opportunity cost of not being able to use :Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate:, it is much harder to justify its team slot as it's outclassed by another Pokémon or Arceus form in anything that it does. :Arceus-Fire: :Flame Plate: is a better E-killer, :Arceus-Electric: :Zap Plate: is a better for Calm Mind + 2 attacks, :Zekrom: as a Dragon Dance sweeper, and :Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate: as THE SET. The only real reason to use it is for the defensive set and with the new Psychic and Ground types, even that set's value has diminished greatly.

:Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate: A+ to S
Arceus-Dark is far and away the best Arceus form day 1 of the DLC2 meta. With new drops like :Lugia:, :Solgaleo:, :Mewtwo:, :Deoxys:, and :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings:, it's value has gone up significantly. THE SET is the one being used right now as it is uniquely equipped to deal with the new shifts. Judgement is very strong when it's Dark type thanks to the aforementioned drops and it can break through some of its resistances like :Magearna: thanks to Calm Mind, Recover, and Taunt. The utility of Taunt allows for it to beat the new Sticky Web leads, Trick Room which has picked up massively thanks to mainly :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: and prevent phasing from Roar and Whirlwind.

:Zacian: S- to A+
Thanks to New Drops such as :Skarmory: and :Solgaleo: walling Zacian without specifically Tera Fire Tera Blast alongside :Deoxys: :Life Orb: and :Zekrom: after a Dragon Dance threatening it offensively, it's no longer feels unmanageable as teams tend to handle it naturally even more than they did before. It's still a powerhouse, however it no longer has a chokehold on the metagame like it used to.

:Arceus-Poison: :Toxic Plate: S- to A-
With the new drops, Arceus-Poison fell off a cliff. The meta went from having next to no Ground and Psychic types to a good number of them. , :Mewtwo::Deoxys:, and :Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: are all problems for it. The Addition of :Landorus-Therian:, :Great Tusk:, and :Iron Treads: can also cause it problems. Pile this on top of the fact that the opportunity cost of not being able to use :Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate:, it is much harder to justify its team slot as it's outclassed by another Pokémon or Arceus form in anything that it does. :Arceus-Fire: :Flame Plate: is a better E-killer, :Arceus-Electric: :Zap Plate: is a better for Calm Mind + 2 attacks, :Zekrom: as a Dragon Dance sweeper, and :Arceus-Dark: :Dread Plate: as THE SET. The only real reason to use it is for the defensive set and with the new Psychic and Ground types, even that set's value has diminished greatly.
alright, i agree with most of this, though i would drop Arceus-Poison to A (instead of A+) because of the Psychic Types who dropped, specially
1704212108020.png
, and the crazy speed creep, as even 120 timid could be considered as "slow" now, also, the introduction of
1704212254656.png
is quite detrimental to the mon as Trick Room is very popular on day 1, due to it and
1704212319873.png
who is also a major factor on the mon's decline, another really problematic new mon for it is Kingambit who (in my experience) is very common

alright, i agree with most of this, though i would drop Arceus-Poison to A (instead of A+) because of the Psychic Types who dropped, specially View attachment 587126 , and the crazy speed creep, as even 120 timid could be considered as "slow" now, also, the introduction of View attachment 587130 is quite detrimental to the mon as Trick Room is very popular on day 1, due to it and View attachment 587131 who is also a major factor on the mon's decline, another really problematic new mon for it is Kingambit who (in my experience) is very common
I also doubt Regular Deoxys will be that relevant. Arceus-Dark was already getting a huge resurgance and this should just accelerate the prospect.

Qbking3

Banned deucer.
alright, i agree with most of this, though i would drop Arceus-Poison to A (instead of A+) because of the Psychic Types who dropped, specially View attachment 587126 , and the crazy speed creep, as even 120 timid could be considered as "slow" now, also, the introduction of View attachment 587130 is quite detrimental to the mon as Trick Room is very popular on day 1, due to it and View attachment 587131 who is also a major factor on the mon's decline, another really problematic new mon for it is Kingambit who (in my experience) is very common
I dropped it to A- not A+ but you're right on all of your points there.

KineSquared

Ubers UU Founder
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I also doubt Regular Deoxys will be that relevant. Arceus-Dark was already getting a huge resurgance and this should just accelerate the prospect.
I kinda doubt that. They appear at different points in the game. Deo is an early game lead or mixed breaker (superpower+espeed is something arceus-Dark should be afraid of), and arceus is later game to stop threats like NDM. I see deo-N being quite good

Basically, due to January the previous tier list is half-useless. With that in mind, let's see the new additions, Which are the following.

Unbanned Pokemon:
:Alcremie: Alcremie
:Annihilape: Annihilape
:Araquanid: Araquanid
:Arceus-Electric: Arceus-Electric
:Archaludon: Archaludon
:Bastiodon: Bastiodon
:Blastoise: Blastoise
:Blaziken: Blaziken
:Cinccino: Cinccino
:Cobalion: Cobalion
:Comfey: Comfey
:Deoxys: Deoxys
:Deoxys-Defense: Deoxys-Defense
:Dewgong: Dewgong
:Dodrio: Dodrio
:Emboar: Emboar
:Entei: Entei
:Excadrill: Excadrill
:Exeggutor: Exeggutor
:Exeggutor-Alola: Exeggutor-Alola
:Feraligatr: Feraligatr
:Flygon: Flygon
:Galvantula: Galvantula
:Golurk: Golurk
:Gouging Fire: Gouging Fire
:Granbull: Granbull
:Great Tusk: Great Tusk
:Hydrapple: Hydrapple
:Hitmonchan: Hitmonchan
:Hitmonlee: Hitmonlee
:Hitmontop: Hitmontop
:Incineroar: Incineroar
:Iron Boulder: Iron Boulder
:Iron Crown: Iron Crown
:Iron Treads: Iron Treads
:Keldeo: Keldeo
:Kingambit: Kingambit
:Kingdra: Kingdra
:Kyurem: Kyurem
:Kyurem-White: Kyurem-White
:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian
:Lapras: Lapras
:Latios: Latios
:Latias: Latias
:Lugia: Lugia
:Magmortar: Magmortar
:Meganium: Meganium
:Mewtwo: Mewtwo
:Meowstic: Meowstic
:Meowstic-F: Meowstic-F
:Minior: Minior
:Minun: Minun
:Necrozma: Necrozma
:Necrozma-Dawn-Wings: Necrozma-Dawn-Wings
:Ogerpon-Hearthflame: Ogerpon-Hearthflame
:Plusle: Plusle
:Porygon-Z: Porygon-Z
:Primarina: Primarina
:Raikou: Raikou
:Raging Bolt: Raging Bolt
:Rampardos: Rampardos
:Regice: Regice
:Regieleki: Regieleki
:Regigigas: Regigigas
:Regirock: Regirock
:Registeel: Registeel
:Reshiram: Reshiram
:Rhyperior: Rhyperior
:Sceptile: Sceptile
:Scrafty: Scrafty
:Serperior: Serperior
:Skarmory: Skarmory
:smeargle: Smeargle
:Solgaleo: Solgaleo
:Suicune: Suicune
:Swampert: Swampert
:Tentacruel: Tentacruel
:Terrakion: Terrakion
:Venusaur: Venusaur
:Vileplume: Vileplume
:Virizion: Virizion
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott
:Zebstrika: Zebstrika
:Zekrom: Zekrom
If I'm not mention it assume it's D/F tier. There's mentions of some of them though. The list is so massive I feel it'll be better to divide it in 2 parts.

:Kyurem-White: Kyurem-White to S/S- tier
It's a 170 Special attack behemoth with Double "Perfect coverage" in Earth Power + Freeze Dry and Draco Meteor + Fusion Flare, who outspeeds the base 90, has respectable 125 | 90 | 100 bulk and can shred its bad defensive typing with Tera Ground or Fire for a 3rd STAB. Due to how good its offensive combo is, it can easily use Ice Beam over Earth Power or Fusion Flare for reliable wallbreaking, and it can also go with either Boots or Specs to be more flexible in terms of teams it can fit on.
Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up banned, because I'm not seeing a wall to this pokémon considering it has Fire Mold Breaker (Turbo Blaze) as hability and is able to 2HKOs the entire tier while also being very bulky. Only reason it's not sure S rank is because Ice types are inherently difficult to splash on every single team, but I would say it's the best pokémon in the tier atm.

:Arceus-Electric: Arceus-Electric to A+ tier
Arceus-Ice was already an oddly good pokémon abusing BoltBeam, and Electric is a better Arceus-Ice, much better in fact because Electric has only 1 easy-to-cover weakness, meaning its setup sets are quite reliable. That being said, the lack of immediate strenght is notable but manegeable, but its indeed a very powerful addition to most teams.

:Deoxys: Deoxys to A tier
It's a very powerful pokémon but i'm seeing a tiny small problem: MEWTWO. Mewtwo is bulkier, has more special attack and some utility Deoxys can't really use. It's not like it's outclassed though, because it can either play like a lead due to access to spikes, or as an all-out mix attacker due to higher attack and Psycho boost's nuking habilities, and that extra 20 speed is quite useful considering Zacian and Dragapult, as well as modest scarf Chi-yu being outsped by 1 point.

:Iron Boulder: Iron Boulder to A tier
Faster than everything, access to the 2nd best rock type attack in the game (Meteor Beam is better) who involves solid QuakeSlide, Swords dance and just incredibly difficult to resist combo, it's just an amazing cleaner... But has literal 0 defensive utility because rock is even worse than Ice defensively at times.

:Great Tusk: Great Tusk to A- tier
Also known as Donphan-Mega or Landorus-T 2.0, This support ground type is just the spinner that the tier needed, being relatively good at getting hazards off. The effect of this should be kinda apparent soon, but has the trouble of bad special bulk which is quite relevant considering the amount of special wallbreakers introduced, and is slower than the crucial base 90, although it's still fast enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier after a rapid spin.

:Gouging Fire: Gouging Fire to A- tier
A solid sun pokémon who can be played outside sun as a regular dragon dance sweeper, outspeeding the crucial 90 speed by 1. It's not very useful on defense though, which can be a problem considering its middling speed stat and weakness to Earthquake and Draco Meteor.

:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian to B+ tier

Landorus-T is a bulkier Garchomp with U-Turn instead of spikes. Garchomp has been performing consistently great on the last weeks of the tournament. There's a problem though: It is outclassed by Great tusk in many roles as a physically bulky ground type.

:Kingambit: Kingambit to B+ tier
This pokémon is very strong and honestly has unhealthy gameplay patterns of rewarding misplays. That being said, Dark isn't the most reliable STAB, and its low speed alongside x4 weakness to fighting will make it exploitable at times.

:Annihilape: Annihilape in B
You might be surprised but I don't really trust Annihilape to be that relevant. The main reason is that fighting is kinda in big trouble due to how prominent fairy and psychic has suddenly become. If there's a style Annihilape isn't good against its offense.

:Iron Treads: Iron Treads to B tier
Iron treads is a more supportive version of Great Tusk. It's weaker but much faster and usable special defense, attributes who work better on higher power levels.

:Galvantula: Galvantula to B- tier
Our new best web setter by far. 108 speed is very good, while its lackluster offenses are for the most part compensated by 91% accurate thunders and fast volt switch. No cure for its lack of bulk and defensive utility though.

:Excadrill: Excadrill to C+ tier
It's in the context of Ubers UU a worse Iron treads outside Sand, a style who is currently dead. I recognize Mold Breaker is the better hability but Excadrill is just too frail and 88 speed is much more exploitable in Ubers UU than in OU.

:Kingdra: Kingdra to C+ tier
"Pelipper and Kingdra, sitting on a tree..." In all seriousness, Rain teams and Kingdra have been in a deep relationship since gen 3 Ubers, because it's just faster than everything. Sadly you'll be forced to go timid due to Iron Boulder, which diminishes your already mediocre damage.

:Hydrapple: Hydrapple to C tier
Regenerator is that good of an hability, and has more potential to set up than your average pokémon. Its defensive typing sucks though, and isn't much better on offense either.

:Araquanid: Araquanid in C tier
It's a sticky web user with good matchup against ground types. Considering Vikavolt was working during the last weeks of december an overall better Vikavolt due to liquidation boosted by water bubble. Still quite fringe though.

:Archaludon: Archaludon to C- tier
A neat addition to rain teams due to its signature move, but otherwise it's a worse Dialga/Dialga-Origin.

:Blaziken: Blaziken to D tier
It's for the most part a worse Arceus-Fire, Kyurem-White, Reshiram, Ogerpon, Gouging fire, Sneasler and Zamazenta. The problem is that 120 attack is unimpressive by gen 9 standards and that 80 speed is straight up slow, forcing it to run protect and therefore having a severe 4MSS, which is not worth it considering there's equally devastating options who require less support. Felt worth mentioning due to being an ex-uber.

:Deoxys-Defense: Deoxys-Defense to D tier
I've said this many times, I'll say it again: Even back in gen 7 Deoxys defense would have been a fine pokémon in OU. This is a stronger format for the most part than arguably the most powercrept OU ever so...

:Kyurem: Kyurem to D tier
Is a worse Kyurem-White on the special side, and a worse Baxcalibur on the physical side. It's worth keeping an eye on it though in case Kyurem-White gets banned (It's very likely if you ask me), In which case it becomes the special Baxcalibur and worth using.

Is there anything I'm missing from AL to LA that might be viable?

Basically, due to January the previous tier list is half-useless. With that in mind, let's see the new additions, Which are the following.

If I'm not mention it assume it's D/F tier. There's mentions of some of them though. The list is so massive I feel it'll be better to divide it in 2 parts.

:Kyurem-White: Kyurem-White to S/S- tier
It's a 170 Special attack behemoth with Double "Perfect coverage" in Earth Power + Freeze Dry and Draco Meteor + Fusion Flare, who outspeeds the base 90, has respectable 125 | 90 | 100 bulk and can shred its bad defensive typing with Tera Ground or Fire for a 3rd STAB. Due to how good its offensive combo is, it can easily use Ice Beam over Earth Power or Fusion Flare for reliable wallbreaking, and it can also go with either Boots or Specs to be more flexible in terms of teams it can fit on.
Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up banned, because I'm not seeing a wall to this pokémon considering it has Fire Mold Breaker (Turbo Blaze) as hability and is able to 2HKOs the entire tier while also being very bulky. Only reason it's not sure S rank is because Ice types are inherently difficult to splash on every single team, but I would say it's the best pokémon in the tier atm.

:Arceus-Electric: Arceus-Electric to A+ tier
Arceus-Ice was already an oddly good pokémon abusing BoltBeam, and Electric is a better Arceus-Ice, much better in fact because Electric has only 1 easy-to-cover weakness, meaning its setup sets are quite reliable. That being said, the lack of immediate strenght is notable but manegeable, but its indeed a very powerful addition to most teams.

:Deoxys: Deoxys to A tier
It's a very powerful pokémon but i'm seeing a tiny small problem: MEWTWO. Mewtwo is bulkier, has more special attack and some utility Deoxys can't really use. It's not like it's outclassed though, because it can either play like a lead due to access to spikes, or as an all-out mix attacker due to higher attack and Psycho boost's nuking habilities, and that extra 20 speed is quite useful considering Zacian and Dragapult, as well as modest scarf Chi-yu being outsped by 1 point.

:Iron Boulder: Iron Boulder to A tier
Faster than everything, access to the 2nd best rock type attack in the game (Meteor Beam is better) who involves solid QuakeSlide, Swords dance and just incredibly difficult to resist combo, it's just an amazing cleaner... But has literal 0 defensive utility because rock is even worse than Ice defensively at times.

:Great Tusk: Great Tusk to A- tier
Also known as Donphan-Mega or Landorus-T 2.0, This support ground type is just the spinner that the tier needed, being relatively good at getting hazards off. The effect of this should be kinda apparent soon, but has the trouble of bad special bulk which is quite relevant considering the amount of special wallbreakers introduced, and is slower than the crucial base 90, although it's still fast enough to outspeed the entire unboosted tier after a rapid spin.

:Gouging Fire: Gouging Fire to A- tier
A solid sun pokémon who can be played outside sun as a regular dragon dance sweeper, outspeeding the crucial 90 speed by 1. It's not very useful on defense though, which can be a problem considering its middling speed stat and weakness to Earthquake and Draco Meteor.

:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian to B+ tier
Landorus-T is a bulkier Garchomp with U-Turn instead of spikes. Garchomp has been performing consistently great on the last weeks of the tournament. There's a problem though: It is outclassed by Great tusk in many roles as a physically bulky ground type.

:Kingambit: Kingambit to B+ tier
This pokémon is very strong and honestly has unhealthy gameplay patterns of rewarding misplays. That being said, Dark isn't the most reliable STAB, and its low speed alongside x4 weakness to fighting will make it exploitable at times.

:Annihilape: Annihilape in B
You might be surprised but I don't really trust Annihilape to be that relevant. The main reason is that fighting is kinda in big trouble due to how prominent fairy and psychic has suddenly become. If there's a style Annihilape isn't good against its offense.

:Iron Treads: Iron Treads to B tier
Iron treads is a more supportive version of Great Tusk. It's weaker but much faster and usable special defense, attributes who work better on higher power levels.

:Galvantula: Galvantula to B- tier
Our new best web setter by far. 108 speed is very good, while its lackluster offenses are for the most part compensated by 91% accurate thunders and fast volt switch. No cure for its lack of bulk and defensive utility though.

:Excadrill: Excadrill to C+ tier
It's in the context of Ubers UU a worse Iron treads outside Sand, a style who is currently dead. I recognize Mold Breaker is the better hability but Excadrill is just too frail and 88 speed is much more exploitable in Ubers UU than in OU.

:Kingdra: Kingdra to C+ tier
"Pelipper and Kingdra, sitting on a tree..." In all seriousness, Rain teams and Kingdra have been in a deep relationship since gen 3 Ubers, because it's just faster than everything. Sadly you'll be forced to go timid due to Iron Boulder, which diminishes your already mediocre damage.

:Hydrapple: Hydrapple to C tier
Regenerator is that good of an hability, and has more potential to set up than your average pokémon. Its defensive typing sucks though, and isn't much better on offense either.

:Araquanid: Araquanid in C tier
It's a sticky web user with good matchup against ground types. Considering Vikavolt was working during the last weeks of december an overall better Vikavolt due to liquidation boosted by water bubble. Still quite fringe though.

:Archaludon: Archaludon to C- tier
A neat addition to rain teams due to its signature move, but otherwise it's a worse Dialga/Dialga-Origin.

:Blaziken: Blaziken to D tier
It's for the most part a worse Arceus-Fire, Kyurem-White, Reshiram, Ogerpon, Gouging fire, Sneasler and Zamazenta. The problem is that 120 attack is unimpressive by gen 9 standards and that 80 speed is straight up slow, forcing it to run protect and therefore having a severe 4MSS, which is not worth it considering there's equally devastating options who require less support. Felt worth mentioning due to being an ex-uber.

:Deoxys-Defense: Deoxys-Defense to D tier
I've said this many times, I'll say it again: Even back in gen 7 Deoxys defense would have been a fine pokémon in OU. This is a stronger format for the most part than arguably the most powercrept OU ever so...

:Kyurem: Kyurem to D tier
Is a worse Kyurem-White on the special side, and a worse Baxcalibur on the physical side. It's worth keeping an eye on it though in case Kyurem-White gets banned (It's very likely if you ask me), In which case it becomes the special Baxcalibur and worth using.

Is there anything I'm missing from AL to LA that might be viable?

This is a part 2, now featuring LU to ZY.

:Mewtwo: Mewtwo to S rank
This has to be one of the easiest decisions S ranks my life. Everything in this pokémon screams sucess, from its great Stat distribution, to its colorful coverage to its variety of sets due to multiple utility options. It's one of those pokémon who are overwhelming due to surprise factor, because in theory every set has clear counterplay, but in practice you have to prepare for so many mewtwos with different counterplay that it's too much at times; it could be Specs, Nasty plot, offensive support, 3 attacks + recover, Stallbreaker or even defensive support, you can only check Mewtwo, not counter it.
Might need suspect test down the line because it's indeed impossible to prepare, but tbf Mewtwo also has quite the severe 4MSS because pure psychic sucks. Is it Banworthy though..? I honestly don't know, and whoever caused that Discord mess in new year's eve (I know who are), please refrain to answer because I don't trust you to be polite in the slightest in this topic.

:Solgaleo:
Solgaleo to S- rank

An easy S- rank. Solgaleo has many desirable attributes for a great tank and offensive support: Steel typing, Access to recovery in morning sun, Knock off, being the viable Teleport user, outspeeding Kyurem and base 90, great 137 / 113 / 89 bulk, trick room and oddly good coverage. This is the check to Zacian the tier has begging for weeks. The only "problem" is the lack of hazards meaning it doesn't compress roles nearly as much as Magearna, but it's not like you have to use your steel type for that, specially after the addition of many good ground types like Landorus-T.

:Zekrom: Zekrom to S- rank
Another easy S- Rank. In theory Zekrom is a very linear pokémon with middling speed stat and forced to use only electric and dragon moves, the latter being quite weak btw and no longer having wiggle room with movesets due to losing roost. In practice those moves hit neutrally almost all the tier and the few viable resists lack recovery.
The biggest danger is the addition of Loaded dice, meaning now its dragon dance sets are stronger and faster, and bulky ground now isn't that reliable of an option anymore to check it. People want this banned for a good reason, it's only here because the bikes are straight up busted.

:Toxapex:
Toxapex to A rank

A defensive water type with access to recovery and regenerator. Considering the tier has been shown desperate enough to use Milotic as the bulky water on semistall teams, I'm seeing great things from this pokémon, most notably its hability to blanket check most Zacian and resiliance to toxic, while also having toxic itself to chip opponents reliably. While Dondozo is great, you don't always need its unaware, and on those teams Toxapex is better due to better survivability and defensive typing.

:Skarmory: Skarmory to A- rank
Skarmory has been a good defensive hazard setter for offensive teams since forever. Right now said teams are becoming quite prevalent in many tiers, including Ubers, OU and UUbers. It checking Zacian comes as a bonus.

:Necrozma-Dawn-Wings:
Necrozma-Dawn-Wings to B+ A- rank

Finally, a format where Dawn Wings is not outclassed by Lunala. Now it can show its talents as a pokémon which are... Alright but not impressive. This pokémon has a serious issue against Dark types because it lacks moonblast and is slow, otherwise it's quite formidable as a wallbreaker, as long as you have heavy speed control, either from webs, thunder waves (Or trick room).

:Raging Bolt:
Raging Bolt to B rank

On the surface there's no reason to use Raging Bolt over Zekrom because it's slower and actually frailer overall, specially considering the latter has a good mix set and setup moves. That being said, there's still 2 reasons to use this thing, if only for sun teams. One, It's the single strongest Draco Meteor in the entire tier, reaching so much damage it can KO a bulky Arceus after rocks. Second, Electric sucker "punch" gives said Sun teams priority, making them less vulnerable to reverse sweeps. Third, it has stronger volt switch. It's basically an OTP of bulky electric type with strong draco meteors for sun, which is good enough in certain structures.

:Ogerpon-Hearthflame:
Ogerpon-Hearthflame to B- rank
Ogerpon's main draw as a pokémon is its wallbreaking capabilities due to Teal-Hearthflame boosting attack by 1 stage. I feel there's some notable obstacles for this strategy to work though, most notably Ogerpon being quite frail with rock weakness and that grass + fire is just alright as a combo due to dragon and fire types. Nonetheless, if you hit hard enough resistances don't matter, and that's what a tera boosted Ogerpon's Ivy cudgel can do, but is still a high mantainence wincon.

:Venusaur: Venusaur to B- rank
Venusaur and Torkoal are flirting... sweet anime references aside, sun finally has a way to deal reliably with water types and Dragon Dance Arceus. Will it be enough to make Sun great again? Not really, because Timid Venusaur can fall a bit short at times in terms of damage and it needs to be timid due to how crucial outspeeding +1 Arceus is, but at least now they have options.

:Reshiram:
Reshiram to C+ rank

This pokémon in theory is great, with unresisted STAB combo. In practice that 90 speed is kinda slow in today's game, while defensively is quite lackluster, making it too prediction-reliant. The problem is that is a Slower Chi-Yu with actually a lower damage output from fire moves, despite Blue Flare being an objectively better move, and to make things even worse it lacks setup moves, as well as it lost the thing it could have made it worth using in Roost, meaning it's just a ball of stats that aren't that well distributed. In short, is just outclassed in many roles it's trying to work and the one it does the best is not particularly useful to begin with. Btw, the comment of Chi-Yu wasn't a joke.

252 SpA Turboblaze Reshiram Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Poison: 202-238 (45.4 - 53.6%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Poison: 210-247 (47.2 - 55.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Grassy Terrain recovery

252 SpA Turboblaze Reshiram Fusion Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Poison: 154-183 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- 68.1% chance to 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
252 SpA Beads of Ruin Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Arceus-Poison: 172-204 (38.7 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

:Lugia:
Lugia to C rank

It's just too passive of a pokémon. Losing toxic and recover PP is a tragedy for a pokémon so reliant on outliving, and so is the removal of heal bell and aromatheraphy outside Blissey. Doesn't help that many of the new wallbreakers have fancy mold breaker. While Blissey Stall is indeed viable, it can ONLY be played there, and even then it's quite prone to give free turns to the enemy so it can set up, something very dangerous against considering many of the best pokémon need one turn to just win.

:Regieleki: Regieleki to C rank
This is the definition of noob bait, which is common on Electric types, Claydol and Ambipom. It's ridiculously frail, its 100 attack is lackluster and it's easier to outspeed than one might expect, most notably being outsped by Venusaur under sun and Dragon dance arceus, the latter being everywhere. Better use case would be as an offensive lead because of its speed and screen access, rather than trying to be a worse Arceus-Electric.

:Serperior:
Serperior to C- rank

The main Problem I'm seeing is that Mono-Grass is atrocious on offense in a tier with so many Dragons, steel and fire, while also very weak and outsped by Arceus, making it too reliant on tera to make its work. It has absurd snowball potential but there's next to no snow in Ubers UU, and feels oddly outclassed by Arceus-Grass. I'm just not seeing it outside of being a tech against web, but that sounds borderline Gimmicky.

:Smeargle:
Smeargle to C- rank

Smeargle is way too specific of a pokémon, being only usable as suicide lead with webs + spore. It's slow, frail and passive, and therefore only very select HO teams can even use its talents.

:Sceptile: Sceptile to D rank
Sceptile got Shed tail this gen. Does it mean it's viable in UUbers, the lowest tier where Shed tail would be legal? Not at all, because Sceptile lacks recovery to use the move, as well the bulk to switch into stuff, and speed tying with Arceus isn't ideal. Sceptile is just a terrible shed tail user, and outside that non-niche Sceptile is just bad.

And that would be it, unless I'm forgetting something.

PS: Yes, I forgot something. I forgot Trick Room on Dawn Wings. That makes Dawn wings more of an A- rank pokémon. Also some minor spelling.

Last edited:
I think :Sceptile: should go to C- tier, if not C tier. While it's rough that it shares a speed tier with :Arceus:, :Sneasler: and :Palkia-Origin:, and is one base speed slower than :Cyclizar: alongside having a worse utility movepool, I believe Sceptile has enough useful tools to warrant itself a niche in the tier. To start, it actually has a higher Special Attack than Cyclizar, which while not exactly something that's important for a Shed Tail user, does mean if push comes to shove, it can deal more in burst damage on neutral targets (Excluding Overgrow).
8 SpA Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Dark: 127-150 (28.6 - 33.8%) -- 0.9% chance to 3HKO
8 SpA Cyclizar Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arceus-Dark: 106-126 (23.9 - 28.4%) -- 95.6% chance to 4HKO
Additionally, Sceptile actually has the same physical bulk and better special bulk than Cyclizar. Although neither side should be staying in more than just to do some utility, being able to stomach a powerful special attack and get some utility off on the same turn if outsped is not something that should just be glossed over.
252 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Cyclizar: 361-426 (104.9 - 123.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sceptile: 291-343 (84.5 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Although Sceptile's typing is worse than Cyclizar, making some interactions not as reflective as shown above, it's still worth considering, especially with what little utility it has over Cyclizar. As for said utility that Sceptile has over Cyclizar, it has access to Leech Seed, which lets it support its teammates by damaging the opponent, even if Sceptile has fainted. This can make it easier for what comes in next to set up, since it will recover HP while it does at best and force a switch at worst. And unlike Cyclizar and :Orthworm:, Sceptile actually has a way to actively recover health with Synthesis. While it's not as good as the passive means that Cyclizar and Orthworm can do so, especially since it is affected by weather, mostly detrimentally, being able to recover on your own terms is valuable as you can't always find a good time to switch.
Sceptile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Overgrow
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Shed Tail
- Leech Seed
8 SpA lets it 1HKO Walking Wake with Overgrow after Rocks and a spike. I know that's a bizarre thing to calc for, but it requires next to no extra investment and is still somewhat useful. Speed is maxed out due to its speed tier, and the rest goes into HP. When compared to the calcs I showed above, the 1 less HP means that Deoxys's Psycho Boost has a 1/16 shot of 1KHOing Sceptile, but it's still favorable for Sceptile to survive and set up Leech Seed or KO Deoxys in retaliation.
8 SpA Overgrow Sceptile Leaf Storm vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 258-304 (75.4 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
252 SpA Deoxys Psycho Boost vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Sceptile: 291-343 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubersuu-2032210711?p2 (Just proof that Sceptile can do what Cyclizar can, using Shed Tail to safely get a teammate in)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ubersuu-2032216710?p2 (Here Sceptile is able to use Leech Seed against :Umbreon:, and since my opponent's :Arceus-Psychic: went for Future Sight before fainting, :Zacian:'s substitute broke and it took some rough damage, but Leech Seed healed it a bit.)
To wrap up everything I said here, while Sceptile isn't as versatile as Cyclizar, it has enough going for it that it has a small but useful niche in the tier.

Last edited:
Of the newest Pokémon added to the tier, :Kyurem-White: seems to be one of the best in my opinion. This thing is an easy S-, and A+ at worst. The speed isn’t great, but it’s good enough. The speed issue can be patched up with Choice Scarf, and having amazing coverage on a base 170 Special Attack stat is superb. The scarf set is by far the best one, but its reliance on it makes it a bit linear. It’s all about prediction. It serves as a great wallbreaker, similar to :Chi-Yu: in how it functions. :Reshiram: also works in this format in the same way, but is basically just a worse :Kyurem-White:. However, :Reshiram: has a great place here in my opinion due to being able to be ran alongside its superior option. If you fill your team with enough bombs it’ll work eventually, right? :Reshiram: should fall around B- or C+. It’s not bad, just outclassed. If we ever lose :Kyurem-White: via tier shift or ban, it’ll become much better.

Of the newest Pokémon added to the tier, :Kyurem-White: seems to be one of the best in my opinion. This thing is an easy S-, and A+ at worst. The speed isn’t great, but it’s good enough. The speed issue can be patched up with Choice Scarf, and having amazing coverage on a base 170 Special Attack stat is superb. The scarf set is by far the best one, but its reliance on it makes it a bit linear. It’s all about prediction. It serves as a great wallbreaker, similar to :Chi-Yu: in how it functions. :Reshiram: also works in this format in the same way, but is basically just a worse :Kyurem-White:. However, :Reshiram: has a great place here in my opinion due to being able to be ran alongside its superior option. If you fill your team with enough bombs it’ll work eventually, right? :Reshiram: should fall around B- or C+. It’s not bad, just outclassed. If we ever lose :Kyurem-White: via tier shift or ban, it’ll become much better.
Btw :Zekrom: was better than :Kyurem-White: but it already got the ban hammer so…

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)