Smogon Masters I - Top Cut Play-Ins & Round 1 [REPLAYS NEEDED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader

Art by Blazenix

Welcome to the first edition of Smogon Masters! This is a Swiss bracket, Bo3 tournament with each set consisting of ORAS OU, SM OU, and SS OU. Players will decide which metagame to play first, then the loser picks a different generation for the following game. If both players cannot agree on a metagame to play first, each round will have a default generation randomized at the start of each round. After several rounds of the swiss bracket, a top cut according to record and resistance will be created and a Bo3 single elimination tournament will determine who wins Smogon Masters and the trophy
1695001107602.png

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a tournament that will employ the standard rulesets for ORAS OU, SM OU, and SS OU.
  • Smogon Masters I will be a swiss tournament.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • More information on the specifics of the swiss will be placed in the HIDE tag below.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three -- one game of each tier.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!. If you can't agree on which server to play on, the Smogtours server is the default option.
  • Saving replays is required and must be posted in each winpost starting in the second round
  • There are no extensions due to the nature of a swiss tournament, so please get your games done on time.
  • Finchinator is the primary host of this tournament while Lady Salamence, Eledyr, and Frozoid will be the co-hosts.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

This was written by Lady Salamence -- thank you!

This tournament uses a Swiss format, where everyone plays until they lose three times, or until Play-Ins / Top Cut begins after Round 9. The Top Cut will be single elimination and based on a 64-player bracket. All matches will be a Best of 3, involving ORAS OU, USUM OU, and SWSH OU.

In the first three rounds, a number of Byes will be placed in the tournament to hit the 768-participant number, to ensure a participant count that works well with Swiss tournament structure. These Byes will exist until Round 3, successively lowering in the Swiss structure – in Round 2, some number of 0-1 players will receive Byes, and in Round 3 some number of 0-2 players will receive Byes.

During the final round, Round 9, three players will have an 8-0 score. These three players have the option to play a Round Robin to lock in their seedings. They may choose to forfeit their games and receive the worst Resistance seeding of the three. Should a Round Robin be fully played and end in 1-1 for each player, their placings/resistance scores would stay identical to before the Round Robin.

Once Round 9 concludes, there will be 69 players qualified (7-2 score or better) for Playoffs. These players will be ranked by Resistance, which is the cumulative win percentage all of their opponents throughout the Swiss phase. The ten 7-2 players with the lowest Resistance (the smallest cumulative win percentage) will play against each other for the final 5 slots, with the first 59 going to the players with higher resistances and scores. Once Play-Ins are finished, Top Cut begins.

Play-Ins
The bottom ten seeds (60-69) play for the bottom 5 slots of a seeded 64 bracket.

[60] PikachuZappyZap vs the pharoah [69] (to play vs Seed 5)
[61] egalvanc vs pkcc [68] (to play vs Seed 4)
[62] Fc vs So Noisy [67] (to play vs Seed 3)
[63] Satanic Beast vs Tenebricite [66] (to play vs Seed 2)
[64] TyCarter vs clean [65] (to play vs Seed 1)

Ordered via matchup into the top 5 seeds:
[64] TyCarter vs clean [65] (to play vs Seed 1)
[63] Satanic Beast vs Tenebricite [66] (to play vs Seed 2)
[62] Fc vs So Noisy [67] (to play vs Seed 3)
[61] egalvanc vs pkcc [68] (to play vs Seed 4)
[60] PikachuZappyZap vs the pharoah [69] (to play vs Seed 5)

The full seedings (and Top Cut Round 1 matches) are as follows, you are welcome to play your match during the Play-Ins week if you have an opponent:

[1] Skypenguin vs clean [65]
[2] Rewer vs Satanic Beast [63]
[3] Zaza vs Fc [62]
[4] xray vs egalvanc [61]
[5] false vs PikachuZappyZap [60]
[6] Ewin vs MANNAT [59]
[7] damien the genius vs JJ09LIE [58]
[8] weird mon vs Akarui~Kurayami [57]
[9] Santu vs Xiri [56]
[10] London Beats vs Isza [55]
[11] Dj Breloominati♬ vs Vermillion Gangsta [54]
[12] Niko vs Kenix [53]
[13] Lusa vs MangoSteak [52]
[14] ima vs Leru [51]
[15] SoulWind vs Lycans [50]
[16] decis vs MichaelderBeste2 [49]
[17] Garay oak vs Ikaishi [48]
[18] Maxouille vs DugZa [47]
[19] Finchinator vs Zokuru [46]
[20] Giannis Antetokommo-o vs Star [45]
[21] Reze vs Luthier [44]
[22] Fardin vs Punny [43]
[23] TPP vs Scarfire [42]
[24] Rubyblood vs LpZ [41]
[25] Savouras vs feen [40]
[26] DonSalvatore vs entrocefalo [39]
[27] Skyrio vs Squirtle Nornor [38]
[28] Joya vs Ash KetchumGamer [37]
[29] KSr vs 3d [36]
[30] Lostmemories vs fade [35]
[31] Empo vs Ahsan-219 [34]
[32] MS3D vs blunder [33]

Ordered by a bracket's POV where Line 1 will face Line 2, winner of which would face winner of Line 3 vs Line 4, etc. (Challonge, etc)
[1] Skypenguin vs [TBD, winner of TyCarter vs clean]
[32] MS3D vs blunder [33]
[16] decis vs MichaelderBeste2 [49]
[17] Garay oak vs Ikaishi [48]
[8] weird mon vs Akarui~Kurayami [57]
[25] Savouras vs feen [40]
[9] Santu vs Xiri [56]
[24] Rubyblood vs LpZ [41]
[4] xray vs [TBD, winner of egalvanc vs pkcc]
[29] KSr vs 3d [36]
[13] Lusa vs MangoSteak [52]
[20] Giannis Antetokommo-o vs Star [45]
[5] false vs [TBD, winner of PikachuZappyZap vs the pharoah]
[28] Joya vs Ash KetchumGamer [37]
[12] Niko vs Kenix [53]
[21] Reze vs Luthier [44]
[2] Rewer vs [TBD, winner of Satanic Beast vs Tenebricite]
[31] Empo vs Ahsan-219 [34]
[15] SoulWind vs Lycans [50]
[18] Maxouille vs DugZa [47]
[7] damien the genius vs JJ09LIE [58]
[26] DonSalvatore vs entrocefalo [39]
[10] London Beats vs Isza [55]
[23] TPP vs Scarfire [42]
[3] Zaza vs [TBD, winner of Fc vs So Noisy]
[30] Lostmemories vs fade [35]
[14] ima vs Leru [51]
[19] Finchinator vs Zokuru [46]
[6] Ewin vs MANNAT [59]
[11] Dj Breloominati♬ vs Vermillion Gangsta [54]
[22] Skooma vs Punny [43]

Start Play-Ins and Top Cut Round 1 in SSOU if you cannot decide. Thanks. Extensions are possible but will be granted on host discretion.

Play-Ins deadline: December 3rd, 10PM GMT-4
Round 1 deadline: December 10th, 10PM GMT-4

Replays are required to be saved all tournament and posted.

Last edited:

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Hell yea 37 predictions WOOOO!!

[1] Skypenguin vs [TBD, winner of TyCarter vs clean] - clean has a lot more tour experience, but TyCarter might want the dub more so prob a close one. However Skype is Him and one of the only players in this tour willing to innovate and cteam commonly spammed teams, so he’s certainly a favorite
[2] Rewer vs [TBD, winner of Satanic Beast vs Tenebricite] - Satanic Beast is a scary name so we’ll see if the team effort can tame the beast (go rewie)
[3] Zaza vs [TBD, winner of Fc vs So Noisy] - Zaza is a master of Sun before it got Protosynthesis and has made some sheist ass plays. Fc is better than noisy, but he tends to use basic stuff so I favor someone like Zaza who can switch it up
[4] xray vs [TBD, winner of egalvanc vs pkcc] - ok xray is def gonna win this BUTTT EGC is HEAT when not bringing a core of Venomoth-Blastoise or something. I can tell he wants this win and to prove himself, so if he doesn’t troll himself too hard I think he can do it.
[5] false vs [TBD, winner of PikachuZappyZap vs the pharoah] - gade told me false is the best 6-8 player oat and I believe him. PZZ slayed ABR with the utmost ease so he’s def solid, but balse galse dalse is lucky and the goat
[6] Ewin vs MANNAT [59] - as much as I dislike Ewin’s personality, he is pretty good at using cringe fat in these gens. Mannat is someone who I’ve never rly thought is good but if he brings strong cteam techs he could win
[7] damien the genius vs JJ09LIE [58] - jjo9 was pretty sheist in OLT and actually would’ve taken a game off Vert. He prepped well and had a close-ish series vs Vert, so I think he can surprise a lotta ppl. I thought damien was heat when qualifying for OLT, but he somehow went from 2.05k to 1.8k and jj0 qualed
[8] weird mon vs Akarui~Kurayami [57] - weird mon brings funny guy stuff and when facing ppl with much less data this is either sheist or gheist. Idk much ab these guys
[9] Santu vs Xiri [56] - Santu is the best ORAS fat or cheese user of all time. He’s also v strong in sm and Xiri might be outta his element vs one of the better fairygen OU players
[10] London Beats vs Isza [55] - got a feeling Isza wants this a lot more, but London has taken down some solid ppl. I find that Isza improved more since I teamed w/ em both in SPL12
[11] Dj Breloominati♬ vs Vermillion Gangsta[54] - Dj Breluminati is the greatest player of all time. Destroyer of McMeghan, Heute, gade.. the list goes on. I actually watched a couple of his opps games and they seem to be a stall crutch. They play it p well tho we’ll see
[12] Niko vs Kenix [53] - Niko looks sharp in fairygens. Kenix is a wildcard but favor Niko
[13] Lusa vs MangoSteak [52] - MangoSteak
[14] ima vs Leru [51] - ima wants it a lot more and has improved immensely since the beginning of gen 9. That’s my guy. Leru is a wack player tho he’ll bring some nonsense
[15] SoulWind vs Lycans [50] - my bestie ghoulwind farms these gens, but it’s hype as hell to see Lycans gl man!!
[16] decis vs MichaelderBeste2 [49] - I saw decis get p lucky a lot so can go either way. Heute plays like jesus or gets lucky too so favor him
[17] Garay oak vs Ikaishi [48] - one lf the best players on the site, but you can’t rly underestimate anyone at this stage
[18] Maxouille vs DugZa [47] - French vs. Monotype. Equal play, better teams win
[19] Finchinator vs Zokuru [46] - Finch wants this shit so bad he’ll bring boring, albeit solid, teams and win
[20] Giannis Antetokommo-o vs Star [45] - Ant is one of the hardest workers I’ve ever seen on this site. If Star brings his typical ABR BS, I can see Ant dominating the matchups. Equal playing skill-ish
[21] Reze vs Luthier [44] - Luth is good at these gens and a strong player. If Reze gets help from their spanish brethren maybe can swing some good mus
[22] Skooma vs Punny [43] - the second best player of all time. Hoping to see Quagsire and Buzzwole vs Clefable and Toxapex in every game. Skoma is someone you have to be wary of in prep and Punny is sheist but leans fat/stall or hard HO. I absolutely can’t wait to not watch this series
[23] TPP vs Scarfire [42] - Scarfire destroyed me in stour and TPP got the biggest anti-shoutout of all time (“you can’t send TPP to play pokemon” is such a fked line)
[24] Rubyblood vs LpZ [41] - rooting for LpZ but rubyblood is solid
[25] Savouras vs feen [40] - feen dismantled Akalli with infernape ORAS HO. Sav will prob have the better teams but you can’t prep for crust
[26] DonSalvatore vs entrocefalo [39] - this guy was pretty solid in that wcop the frenchies won. Falo did well in scl tho so will be close
[28] Joya vs Ash KetchumGamer [37] - Tricking endorsement and solid plays for being a newer player. Haven’t seen much of Joya
[29] KSr vs 3d [36] - some good team effort will shine here
[30] Lostmemories vs fade [35] - gade is good at these gens
[31] Empo vs Ahsan-219 [34] - the goat
[32] MS3D vs blunder [33] - MS3d is solid, but he can’t rely on using fat vs one of the most aggro 6-8 players. Thinking blund takes this easily

9 rounds of qualification into TOP 64 bracket LMAO!!! Whoever wins this tournament will truly be a Master of Pokémon. Good luck all

skypenguin vs [clean vs tycarter]
soulwind vs lycans
lusa vs mangosteak
santu vs xiri
empo vs ahsan-219
blunder vs ms3d
fade vs lostmemories
giannis antetokommo-o vs star
finchinator vs zokuru
Rewer vs [Tenebricite vs satanic beast]
zaza vs [fc vs so noisy]
pikachuzappyzap vs false
dugza vs maxouille

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)