Resource OU Underdogs - The Niche Heat Brigade

You’re going to have to do a lot explaining on these choices. I get Cloyster, don’t really think it’s that good but I get it. Spidops and Honchkrow though? You’re already lost me.

I get stakeout first impression is “strong” but it’s effectively the same as tinted lens on resists. Look at OU filled with Pokémon like dirge, pex, corviknight, garg, and the all important tusk. What are you aiming to hit that tinted lens can’t? Amoongus? Don’t forget that Lokix has 20+ base attack more than Spidops, and dark stab that lets it threaten Dirge. It’s not like Lokix is that that good either, and being a shitty webs setter doesn’t seem like fair compromise.

Honchkrow truly just baffles me. I look at it and see 0 redeeming qualities. All I can think of is “Moxie + Uturn with a dark resist for gambit and a strong stab move that is super effective vs tusk”. If that’s all you’re looking for then why not Quaq? It’s got Uturn, better Stab options with step/crash and cc while still being super effective vs tusk, and a dark resist from fighting. Quaq has 5 less attack but it comes with so many benefits like rocks resist over a weakness, stronger secondary stab, not needing tera fighting blast, and better immediate speed with an actual boosting option as well. For example adamant scarf Honchkrow has 361 speed, losing to iron valiant. Quaq has 403 adamant, allowing it to outspeed valaint.

These Pokémon just seem straight up bad, and most certainly memes. So what’s the line? The examples of memes not allowed are actively detrimental to themselves, but where’s the drawing point? Is choice band Grimmsnarl a meme? Is hydration rest Goodra a meme? I would like to present my set and see where it falls

Gamefreak hates st (Pawmot) @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Revival Blessing
- Dig

Behold, the ultimate stall killer. Dig to pp stall, rest talk with a 50% chance to cast revival blessing. You bring this thing and it’s almost impossible to lose to stall. No stall player can withstand 7 kingambit assaults while Pawmot takes his eepy little naps
I don't think Sleep Talk can call Revival Blessing for this exact reason

Attacking Lead Archaludon

Archaludon @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Steel Beam / Flash Cannon
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
- Earthquake / Flash Cannon

:Archaludon: has been one of my favorite additions from DLC2, packing impressive utility and set variety thanks to its typing, movepool, and access to Stamina alongside a resistance to all 3 attacking pivot moves. This set instead leans into its offensive prowess and access to Sturdy to give a hard-hitting rocks lead that can generally expect to get up rocks and at worst trade with someone, if not severely dent a second mon. Steel Beam also allows it to spinblock by dying. Highly recommend pairing with :Hatterene:, both for :deoxys-speed: leads and to help deny hazards early in order to preserve sturdy if you don’t take a hit on the turn you set rocks.

Also reminder that perish trapping is back on the menu thanks to :primarina:

Also reminder that perish trapping is back on the menu thanks to :primarina:
okay. perish trap.
:sv/primarina:
Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Substitute
:sv/politoed:
Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb/Drizzle
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Protect
- Substitute
Two sub protect perish trappers. Need anything else? Two large fries and a coke? Buy both, get a sweeping :minior: free!
:sv/minior:
Minior (Minior-Violet) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shields Down
Tera Type: Rock/Electric/Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Shell Smash
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Tera Blast
I mentioned this in the lure that threat Iron Boulder, it's actually solid.
OU is not responsible for any rating lost and/or sanity shredded using these sets. It is your fault if you take this as real.
(no but jk :Primarina: works, the :politoed: is kinda a meme though (even if it is still tanky))

I’ve been vibing this on an electric terrain team.
It can get rid of some grounds itself with Tera blast Ice. Zap cannon has a decent chance to proc blunder policy or do good damage and paralyze. With + 2 speed and rising voltage it can do some serious damage. Thunderclap makes it useful with no proc and can use it against mons faster than valiant and above. Also gets boosted by terrain.

Raging Bolt @ Blunder Policy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderclap
- Tera Blast
- Zap Cannon
- Rising Voltage

I’ve found whimsicott to be underrated on trick room teams. It’s great as a setter because it resists dark types. It’s also super helpful into one of trick rooms biggest threats in raging bolt. It does a great job hitting Pokémon that set up with prankster encore whilst also annoying sub and protect users. I run both defences with leech seed u-turn but it has other nifty moves like switcheroo and memento. It can use moonblast but I’ve found having a semi fast Pokémon with u-turn on trick room to be helpful in taking the hit to get my breakers in for free.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Leech Seed
- Encore
- Trick Room

TR setter
Exeggutor-Alola @ Eject Pack
Ability: Frisk
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick Room
- Leaf Storm
- Skill Swap
Set TR, eject pack out, maybe yoink an ability from opposing mons (get memed :gliscor:)

Nope lead
Deoxys-Speed @ Eject Pack
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
Mom, can we have U-Turn?
No, we have U-Turn at home.
U-Turn at home: Psycho Boost Eject Pack (Just Nope out on a lead)

Last edited:
TR setter
Exeggutor-Alola @ Eject Pack
Ability: Frisk
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Trick Room
- Leaf Storm
- Skill Swap
Set TR, eject pack out, maybe yoink an ability from opposing mons (get memed :gliscor:)

Nope lead
Deoxys-Speed @ Eject Pack
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Dark Pulse
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam
Mom, can we have U-Turn?
No, we have U-Turn at home.
U-Turn at home: Psycho Boost Eject Pack (Just Nope out on a lead)

Use Superpower on Deo instead of one of the coverage moves, this way it escapes from the Darks while hitting them hard.

Egg is probably better with Harvest Sitrus + 3 Attacks to put TR more times.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
:sv/comfey:
Comfey @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Triage
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
- Taunt

hellom just won a match in SPL running a CM Comfey on GTerrain, and it definitely seems like kind of a heat option in the current metagame:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-741008

With the surge of dragon and dark types in the current meta, Comfey finds itself in a really cool spot, with the fastest priority in the game in Triage Draining Kiss while also having access to Draining Kiss and Stored Power.

You definitely need help breaking down steels, but once this mon gets a few boosts going, it can Tera Steel to flip it's weaknesses around!

:regice:
Regice @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Curse / Flash Cannon
- Body Press
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt​

Been running Regice on my hard stall teams, really enjoying the ability to just blank Raging Bolt and other special threats thanks to its astronomical bulk + unique boltbeam coverage alongside access to Body Press to chunk specially bulky switch-ins. Alternatively, instead of Curse, you could run Flash Cannon as a way to dispatch Clefable or Iron Valiant - but Curse's ability to boost Regice's physical bulk + Body Press is missed in many scenarios.

Also working on :meganium: on sun teams as well, but more testing is needed before I post about that.

:sv/ludicolo:
Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Surf
- Encore
- Giga Drain
I've been using ludicolo on my rain team and I've found good success with it. It is one of the best checks to walking wake, as it can take two draco meteors while setting up a leech seed, and if they decide to click hydro steam, it is doing 15% max, which is mostly being healed off with the rain dish recovery + lefties recovery. Leech seed in general is great team support and can help make progress against bulkier teams. Encore also helps with set up sweepers like gouging fire and volcarona, meaning that stuff like barra and archaludon can get in for free. It doesn't win games on its own, but it gives rain a nice backbone against opposing rain while allowing every mon to survive a bit longer.

Ok, so I goof around the site with my favorite mom, Vileplume. All gags, nothing really serious. But I've been using it in OU, and I'm not saying it should even be allowed to look at the VR, it simply put in more work than I'd ever tbouht possible.

Mainly thanks to a few key moves it retained. It kept Strength Sap, which is one of the most busted moves in the entire game. It has Leech Seed, but so does Arboliva, not only possessing both, but much better offense, both stat wise and in movepool. But it does have Effect Spore.

Vileplume (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Effect Spore
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Sludge Wave / Toxic
- Strength Sap
- Leech Seed

Now that Amoongus lost its best tool, I can feel less silly using Plume. It's amazing what you can survive. Strength Sap really is bonkers, and between everyone and their mother wanting to punch Plume in the face (for some reason, it's soo cute why would you), meaning RH chip and most likely a status effect. It tends to survive Pyro Ball from Cinder, Triple Axel is often played against the opponent, it sleeps on U-Turn, or makes you sleep. Leech Seed means you can't simply stay in, and Moonblast hits the various dragons littering the tier right now.

I prefer Toxic, as it will be able to almost always force progress, but Sludge Wave is good for fucking over all the grassers.

This is the latest match from a good natured opponent.

It just does more than it has any right too. I've had more matches than I should have where, win or lose, the flower leaves it's mark.

Again, not saying it's a sleeper pick or anything, but definitely good enough to break up monotony.

:sv/comfey:
Comfey @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpA
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power
- Taunt

hellom just won a match in SPL running a CM Comfey on GTerrain, and it definitely seems like kind of a heat option in the current metagame:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen9ou-741008

With the surge of dragon and dark types in the current meta, Comfey finds itself in a really cool spot, with the fastest priority in the game in Triage Draining Kiss while also having access to Draining Kiss and Stored Power.

You definitely need help breaking down steels, but once this mon gets a few boosts going, it can Tera Steel to flip it's weaknesses around!
Bold with 88 Def and 180 SpA reaches the same stats at that spread but with 8 EVs remaining.

Looks fun though :)

Posted these sets in OU discussion, thought it fits here as well
(Backstory: My friend told me to make a team with florges and I made a stall team with it. it's ok i guess.)
Petals (Florges-Yellow) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Grass
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain/Draining Kiss/Synthesis
- Chilling Water
- Protect/Synthesis/Skill Swap
Both of Flowey's abilities kinda suck, so... just give it to the next person lol.

Or, to really screw up people,
Petals (Florges-Yellow) @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Chilling Water
- Alluring Voice
Setup beats stall with dead unaware mons? No!

(One extra set)
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind
- Skill Swap
Suggested by Conflux123 Skill swap is funny on cm sets.

Last edited:
Posted these sets in OU discussion, thought it fits here as well
(Backstory: My friend told me to make a team with florges and I made a stall team with it. it's ok i guess.)
Modest Nature
- Chilling Water
- Protect/Synthesis/Skill Swap
Both of Flowey's abilities kinda suck, so... just give it to the next person lol.

Or, to really screw up people,
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draining Kiss
- Chilling Water
- Alluring Voice
Setup beats stall with dead unaware mons? No!

(One extra set)
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Synthesis
- Calm Mind
- Skill Swap
Suggested by Conflux123 Skill swap is funny on cm sets.
You left AV on set with 1 attack

:sv/dachsbun:
Dachsbun @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Well-Baked Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Lick
- Body Press
- Protect
I've been using a dachsbun stall team to climb (climbed from 1100 elo to 1400 elo using this team to negate my losses from using bad mons), and I've got to say, this is pretty great. Dachsbun provides a wish passer, fire check and gambit check all in one slot. This is big role compression and sometimes it can be amazing, such as against gouging fire which it counters completely (bar any e-quake crits).
Now, you may think, "but it can't touch anything that resists fighting type moves and can be used as set-up fodder." That's where lick comes in. Now hitting ghost types and having lots of pp isn't the main reason for its inclusion, though that is definetely nice, it's the paralysis chance. This means that any mon that switches into dachsbun is risking a 30% paralysis chance, which can generate the stall team a lot more turns. While something like ghold may counter the stall team relatively well, it can't use dachsbun as an entry point as if it get para'd, blissey can just calm mind up to outboost it's damage. This is amazing support, and with tera grass, I've even beaten a waterpon that threatened to sweep my team. Dachsbun can only really fit on stall teams and can sometimes feel like dead weight, but it can also put in amazing work and be crucial to a win.

So, after *checks notes* nearly three weeks since the last post, I have experimented with two of the original regi trio, registeel and regirock (Morkal tested out regice so I don't think it is necessary for me to test it). Admittedly, I have tested registeel way more than regirock, but I still feel confident with my findings on regirock (I spent 2-3 full hours just testing regirock, which accounted for about 30-40 games, which I think is sufficient data to find out its niche). But, still, lets talk about the ÜN-ÜN-ÜN mons.
Registeel
:sv/registeel:
Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Defense
- Amnesia
- Body Press
- Rest
I played for about a week with a registeel stall team (Impressive by my standards, I switch teams like every 3 days), and I have to say this thing is bonkers. Honestly, despite using it exclusively on stall and pp stall (In which it is I believe one of the three essential mons alongside dd kyurem and Deo-S), I believe this registeel set could find its way onto any team. Now, it cannot hit ghost types at all, which is troublesome, but if you can remove them and position it against any mon that can't hit it hard, then it will proceed to boost up and destroy a team. Even quad resists can't take it on.
+6 4 Def Tera Fighting Registeel Body Press vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Slowking-Galar: 144-170 (36.5 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+6 4 Def Tera Fighting Registeel Body Press vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Hatterene: 95-112 (29.8 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 4 Def Tera Fighting Registeel Body Press vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 152-179 (43.1 - 50.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
Even two quad resists and one bulky resist with insane recovery can't deal with it. Rest allows it to threaten the opposing team constantly and the two turns that you can't act are actually great as it allows you to pp stall some mons much easier, as they waste two more pp than you per rest cycle, resulting most times in you winning. Even corviknight with pressure has to be careful with its pp due to this. Just boost up both defense stats after taking out the ghost types, and watch the opposing team flounder helplessly. More defense ev's could be used, but I prefer the increased special bulk. Light metal is also used to reduce low kick from weavile's power, which is a guarenteed 2hit ko otherwise.
Regirock
:sv/regirock:
Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch
Regirock is a mon that can take a lot of hits using its massive bulk. With body press, it can also deal back impressive damage as well. Rock blast can help against a lot of opposing OU mons, or ribombee leads by breaking sashes and ko'ing it if you get three hits. It also can help with regirock's uninvested attack stat feeling a lot less powerful (it has 100 attack) than it should do if it gets a 5 hit. Stealth rock means regirock can always make some progress in a match even if it might be facing very powerful special attackers. The last moveslot is customizable, I chose ice punch to deal with dragon types and make grass types wary to switch in. I could see you using earthquake to deal with ghold or even explosion to go out with a bang (pun intended) and deal massive damage to potential switch in. Iron defense could be used to set up a sweep, and is most likely the best option, but I wanted to try something unique.
Tera grass allows it to take on ground types easily and makes it a temporary stop to water/raging bolt sweeps. The ev's are specific, with 112 special defense ev's, you can take two specs kyurem freeze drys, which is nice and allows it to temporarily check it. Overall, regirock is a mon that feels really powerful as a defensive behemoth, and if it just had recovery it would easily be a top tier defensive mon (I love palossand, but gf please give shore up to other ground/rock types cowards).

Last edited:
Whole looking for a suitable SP.wall for my volt turn team, I settled on AV Iron Hands. I was very pleased by the results:

Iron Hands @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 172 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

So beefy. Iron Head for Enamorus, Tera Poison for immunity, and can snipe tf outta Kyu.

Whole looking for a suitable SP.wall for my volt turn team, I settled on AV Iron Hands. I was very pleased by the results:

Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

So beefy. Iron Head for Enamorus, Tera Poison for immunity, and can snipe tf outta Kyu.
love this, feel like he's got a lot of potential. is iron head really better than supercell or TP? you're only doing a few percent more to clef, and iron head doesn't ohko enam anyway

love this, feel like he's got a lot of potential. is iron head really better than supercell or TP? you're only doing a few percent more to clef, and iron head doesn't ohko enam anyway
I'm honestly none too sure. I was particularly pissed at dealing with Kyu and spitefully picked it because of the 4x weakness (I was aiming for useless overkill) but I kept the move when I saw how many Moonblasts I had to eat.

I will experiment with more moves, and I feel he may need more atk EVs for the lesser power of TP (Supercell Slam are for more experienced players.

Dude is so beefy and is best friends with Rilla, so please experiment and let me know the results, I'm not entirely satisfied with the EV set as is

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor

Brave Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Run Heavy Slam > Iron Head, otherwise goated set, Volt switch is def replaceable with Wild Charge or Supercell Slam depending on structure

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
Additionally, I personally use the following set:

EVs: 56 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam

Funnily enough, even if weak to it, Hands kind of becomes a fairy killer with this, You maximise SpDef to take advantage of Assault vest, speed is to creep Clefable, as well as no speed kingambit, while attack guarantees an OHKO on Iron Valiant after rocks, as well as 2HKOing Physdef Clefable and Hatterene with Heavy Slam. I personally prefer Tera Grass for the defensive profile, while resisting grass, but I'd say Tera Steel is also a great option due to covering the psychic and fairy weakness.

One big thing with Hands is it has an incredible MU into Rain, which is one reason where I personally prefer Tera Grass to resist Water.

Additionally, I personally use the following set:

EVs: 56 HP / 100 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Ice Punch
- Drain Punch
- Wild Charge
- Heavy Slam

Funnily enough, even if weak to it, Hands kind of becomes a fairy killer with this, You maximise SpDef to take advantage of Assault vest, speed is to creep Clefable, as well as no speed kingambit, while attack guarantees an OHKO on Iron Valiant after rocks, as well as 2HKOing Physdef Clefable and Hatterene with Heavy Slam. I personally prefer Tera Grass for the defensive profile, while resisting grass, but I'd say Tera Steel is also a great option due to covering the psychic and fairy weakness.

One big thing with Hands is it has an incredible MU into Rain, which is one reason where I personally prefer Tera Grass to resist Water.
Does the lesser HP make it harder to counter physical attacks? Without Tera, is he handling EQ without G Terrain?

Run Heavy Slam > Iron Head, otherwise goated set, Volt switch is def replaceable with Wild Charge or Supercell Slam depending on structure
Yo I was just looking at move alternatives before running into that move! I was wondering if it was worthwhile (I had fun with Wring Out before Contrary was cool) and was gonna ask on Simple Q. if it was good.

Guess your Tera type is Psychic.

I love Volt Switch in particular because it's such an amazing pivot, I was honestly thinking of secondary electric move alongside it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)