SV OU Gimmicky Team I whipped up (its weird)

This team is predominantly built around hyper offence

:rillaboom:
Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Grassy Glide
- U-turn
- High Horsepower

Rillaboom is the pivot mon of the team that sets up grassy terrain for passive recovery as well as activating hawluchas unburden with grassy seed. Choice band allows rillaboom to deal significant damage onto switch ins especially with terrain boosted wood hammer. High horse power forces your opponent to make a tough decision when switching in risking the possibility of rillaboom koing. Overall a good mon but struggles due to its lacklustre speed which grassy glide assists with.

:Ribombee:
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sweet Veil
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Moonblast

Ribombee is the sticky web/screens suicide lead supporting the team. Putting sticky on the field significantly helps the team overall due to there being a few mons in the lower speed tiers. Additionally, with screens it makes it easier for hawlucha to setup and skeledirge to stay in. Ribombee can also take a few surprise ko's on mons with week spd such as iron valiant and great tusk which is pretty rare but useful. I run sash to ensure that ribombee can setup sticky on the field although light clay would be nice its better to be safe than sorry.

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Focus Sash
Ability: Clear Body
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Draco Meteor

Status Dragapult is great in neutralizing mons such as late revenge killers like kingambit or setup mons such as roaring moon and gouging fire. Hex (with status) and Draco meteor are both high damage outputting moves which can help take early ko's that can disorient the opponent. Sash is predominantly there to make sure that dragapult can get off a status and attack (if possible) heloung neutralizing dangerous threats towards the team. Overall a great support mon!

:skeledirge:
Skeledirge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Alluring Voice
- Earth Power

One of the weirdest skeledirge sets you'll ever see. I choose choice specs because skeledirge can deal astronomical damage with specs tera fire and torch song. This set is very gimmicky and can catch many people off guard with sneaky ko's that they would never suspect. Main downside is that skeledirge is very slow so I have to opt for bulk. Screens and grassy terrain (cuts Earthquake damage in half) support skeledirge making sure it can tank multiple hits can take down a few mons with it.

:hawlucha:
Hawlucha @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Unburden
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Close Combat
- Tera Blast

The UU superstar of the team. Unburden Hawlucha with grassy seed and swords dance is one of the best late game cleaners i have used. It can sweep through most teams and can end most games if the opponent lets you get off a swords dance. Hawlucha most of the time is able to pickup 1-3 kos before going down. Tera ground is used to deal with counters to its coverage of fighting and flying (mainly gholdengo if it does not have air balloon and slowking galar).

:Iron_treads:
Iron Treads @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Heavy Slam
- High Horsepower
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

A bulky rapid spinner with decent ko potential. I ran high horsepower on iron treads due to the fact that earthquake bp is cut in half because of grassy terrain. This is a helpful work around just for the sacrifice of 5p and 5 accuracy. Assault vest is for Iron treads to tank 1-2 hits while spinning and pull out a possible ko or high chip damage. Additional pivot mon preventing heavy reliance on rillaboom for u turn pivot.

This is just a fun team i made with a cool gimmick in mind of choice specs skeledirge any kind of criticism would be appreciated!

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
Rillaboom + Hawlucha is a strong duo, and one that isn't seen often in OU this generation. While I like the ideas behind this unique approach to Hyper Offense, I believe it is a bit ambitious in its approach and cannot successfully pull off all of Grassy Terrain, Screens, and Webs. Even if all these were to be set up, which would be very difficult, the majority of the Pokemon on your team do not make good use of the support. I have some suggestions I'd like to make to keep the team as a unique style of HO while getting more out of each member of the team. A Pokepaste of the suggestions is right below.

My version: :rillaboom: :hawlucha: :dragapult: :great-tusk: :heatran: :glimmora:

Changes:

1. :great-tusk: > :iron-treads:: Since the team is Hyper Offense, you want your team to be very offense-oriented with many sweepers and many chances to break through opposing teams. Iron Treads lacks this capability, maybe with the exception of Booster Attack variants. Great Tusk is a very dangerous threat with Booster Speed + Bulk Up. Tera Poison lets you tank hits from Iron Valiant and allows you to set up more easily on Gliscor. Headlong Rush from Great Tusk hits a lot harder than High Horsepower from Iron Treads, and Ice Spinner complements the Ground coverage very well. You will get a lot more mileage from Great Tusk in your games.

2. :heatran: > :skeledirge:: While the team is Hyper Offense, it struggles a lot with Sun and Stall. Heatran checks both those playstyles very well; Flash Fire and Heatran's natural typing and bulk are difficult to break through, and Magma Storm + Taunt is difficult for Stall to handle. In general, it is a strong switch-in to Enamorus, Gholdengo, Dragapult, and other special attackers, and it gives the team Stealth Rock. Air Balloon feels pretty necessary as the only Ground immunity is Hawlucha. Grassy Terrain mitigates some of Heatran's weakness to Ground moves while providing Heatran healing, and Tera Grass is nice into Rain matchups and as a defensive type in general thanks to Flash Fire.

3. :glimmora: > :ribombee:: Ribombee is unnecessary for your team, especially because you have extremely strong speed control with Hawlucha. The screens, albeit cool, are very difficult to set up in a normal game while also getting up Sticky Web. I thought it would be fun to replace one common lead with another. Glimmora on its own is nice because it absorbs Toxic Spikes that would otherwise annoy your team a lot, and it punishes physical attackers with Toxic Debris. The thing is, with my changes, you already have Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin thanks to Heatran and Great Tusk, respectively, so I opted for a set-up Glimmora set. Meteor Beam + Power Herb will boost your Special Attack and Rock Polish will boost your Speed, which can be scary for teams who do not anticipate the set. Also, people will try to lead strongly against Glimmora since that is a common lead, but you will usually not lead with Glimmora due to its set. You can often punish the opponent with a different lead (most likely your Focus Sash Dragapult). Tera Fairy is a nice defensive typing in a pinch (e.g. Dragapult, Roaring Moon, Gouging Fire), and it can easily bluff Dazzling Gleam as a fourth move. I hope Glimmora puts in work, as it seems to fulfill the team's needs well.

4. :hawlucha:: In general, Tera Blast Ground is a cool tech, but Hawlucha does not need it in the current meta; it would only help against Gholdengo, and you should chip it before setting up with your Hawlucha. To cover defensively for Gholdengo in a pinch, I made your Hawlucha Tera Electric. I prefer it to Tera Ground as you resist Make it Rain, keep a resistance to Electric moves (e.g. Thunderclap from Raging Bolt), become neutral to Grassy Glide and Aqua Jet rather than weak to them, and keep an immunity to paralysis. Because you're no longer using Tera Blast Ground and Tera Blast Electric is a bit unnecessary thanks to Rillaboom punishing Dondozo who walls Hawlucha, you can run one of either Encore or Substitute. I like Encore a lot more personally, as you can punish Kingambit going for Sucker Punch and Raging Bolt going for Thunderclap. In general, Encore will provide your Hawlucha with more opportunities to set up. If you don't like Encore, use Substitute, Thunder Punch, or Tera Fire + Fire Punch (to punish Gholdengo, keep a resistance to Make it Rain, and become immune to burn).

5. :rillaboom:: Knock Off > High Horsepower still hits Gholdengo hard while being a more spammable move to remove items from opponents. You can keep the Jolly Nature, but the extra speed isn't too necessary in my opinion since you handle Gholdengo well with Heatran. The extra damage with Adamant Nature will be more valuable to you in most games.

6. :dragapult:: More of a nitpicky thing, but Infiltrator will ensure you can inflict status on opposing Pokemon behind a Substitute, which is more important than Clear Body blocking Speed drop from Sticky Web or Attack drop from Intimidate.

I hope you find more success with the suggested changes! I don't usually like to change more than two Pokemon normally since it can change the core purpose of the team, but I feel I was able to keep the purpose of the team while making it a lot more potent. Enjoy! :rillaboom: :hawlucha: :rillaboom: :hawlucha:

Thanks for the feedback and improving the team overall. I will definitely implement those changes as I often had tough matchups with stall and sun teams. Many of the wins I had were reliant on heavy predictions which is not a good way to play games. The new hawlucha set offers more utility as well as survivability which is amazing. I forgot to change dragapult's ability to infiltrator thanks for fixing that. Knock off on rillaboom provides more utility and helps in the long run. Great tusk is the stronger variant due to the danger of it setting up. I agree with the fact ribombee was just death fodder, Glimmora is a much better lead to use for hazards and team support overall. Heatran really helps with stall which I do not enjoy facing at all. Thanks a lot for the team changes

Edit: Ran a few games on my alt account to get familiar with using the new team. Here are a few replays showcasing how the team is played (ignore some of the bad plays I made)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2096839054
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2096833551

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)