SS OU Garchomp balance team

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
In case anyone points it out, the rules says only one team per two weeks. My previous rmt was posted on october 27 at 3:43 pm. I'm writing this one at 5:30 pm on november 10, both dates and time are on my timezone which is on the philippines. So, that means this one was posted two weeks and about a couple hours since my last one so I don't think this breaks the rules

Moving on, I decided to scrap my Garchomp team from my previous rmt because it had way too many flaws and there was a bad habit about it, for me anyway so I just rebuilt a different team from scratch. This team performed very well but still, I lost many battles. That wasn't because the other guy outplayed me but because of the bs rng. Literally, losing just because you're attack missed is the dumbest way to lose. In fact, I even doubt that it would count as the other guy won because of skill because that's just pure and dumb luck. I swear, I for every five battles that I lost, three of them were because my attack missed on a key turn and I just rage quit because screw the rng. Enough ranting. This team did get me to reach nearly 1400 or maybe even slightly higher than it but then Arceus cursed me and dropped me back to 1100 because rng. Even thought this team performed very well, an outside perspective still helps a lot

chomp.jpg

Garchomp (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Scale Shot
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Starting off is the pokemon I wanted to build the team around. I haven't really started on building a team that isn't built around Garchomp because team building isn't that easy not to mention it wasn't that long ago since cancer Genesect, Naganadel and Landorus was banned. Also, team building isn't the easiest thing in the world. Just the standard pseudo dragon dance Garchomp. This time though, I'm not that aggressive in using it. Using scale shot makes me insecure in a way even though it really shouldn't unless there are still physical priority running around but it does. I also chose lum berry over life orb this time because life orb just kills it far too quick. Also, about my rant on the rng, scale shot missing has got to be one of the most annoying things in the game and that also contributed as to why I save Garchomp for last these days. Not really much to explain since it is the pokemon I wanted a team built around

rilla.png

Rillaboom @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer

For the next pokemon, I wanted one that could destroy the biggest pain in Garchomp's ass, bulky waters. My usual preferred method of dealing with bulky waters has always been to just poison then and let them suffer a slow and painful death. Toxic spikes was the best way but that was bad for me as a player so instead, I just wanted a pokemon that could brute force its way through bulky waters. Tapu Bulu was my first choice since I was mainly a gen seven player but then it dropped to uu. The only possible reason would be this gorilla so I decided to give it a shot. Wood hammer is the main stab and when boosted by terrain, it puts a dent into even resists. Grassy glide is some sort of speed control to pick off weakened enemies. Drain punch is a coverage move to punish steel types and regain lost health while u turn is to pivot out of unfavorable matchups. As for the item, why assault vest? That's because a few days ago, a different pain in the ass made itself known to me, a pink blob. Not Chansey or Blissey but Clefable. A pink blob with trick and flame orb would ruin my team. There is almost zero way to stop this because there are no z crystals nor mega stones to block trick. If I can't stop it, then I might as well render it useless, which is why I gave it assault vest. Sure, the tricked flame orb will hurt Rilla but the vest will hurt Clef a lot more. Choice band was a good choice but then that could backfire horribly if Clef tricks it again to one of my walls. Assault vest on the other hand, completely renders Clef useless. It won't be able to eat its precious egg nor will it be able to trick it away. I haven't put this into practice though since I haven't encountered any flame orb trick Clefs lately but even if I end up losing, I won't get mad because rendering Clefable useless brings me more satisfaction than winning. I really hate that blob. The blob will then be forced to spam moonblast which my next pokemon will happily gobble up. Speaking of which

tran.png

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

For this member, I wanted a steel type pokemon that had stealth rock and isn't Ferrothorn. The habit I mentioned earlier is not only a bad habit but also some sort of dilemma. That habit was me always wanting to set up as many hazards as I could even though I should be switching out or going for an attack. The dilemma part is that on one hand, I find it extremely amusing to watch pokemon lose a large chunk of their health when switching in but on the other hand, I don't really have the patience to pull off that sort of thing and I just end up getting tilted because the battle dragged on. So, I just decided to just get rid of that habit and go with stealth rock as my sole hazard. The Heatran set I chose helps Rillaboom in the effort to get rid of bulky waters. In fact, most anti bulky water operations usually go to Heatran as it gets rid of every bulky water by trapping them, taunt to prevent recovery then killing them with earth power. I say most because there is a bulky water that is really annoying for Heatran to deal with, Tapu Fini. While Heatran usually gets rid of most waters, Fini is mostly relegated to Rilla. In fact, it's not only bulky waters that Heatran deals with. Just about every wall in the game is left under Heatran's mercy, except maybe for Blissey because it's too fat for Heatran

zap.png

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Discharge
- Heat Wave

If there is anything that I ever learned from playing gen seven, it is that Kartana is a giant pain in the ass and that it is almost required to have a pokemon that deals with it, via strong special hits or priority, otherwise it would just slice up entire teams. This team slot was heavily contested by Tornadus but when I was building the team, I realized that with heavy duty boots, Zapdos no longer has to fear stealth rocks. When I tested out the very first version of this team, I chose to use Zapdos first before Tornadus and since Kartana was my main target, I went with static. It performed better than I originally thought as nearly every single u turner risks getting paralyzed. This was incredibly useful that I didn't even bother to use the pressure one nor Tornadus. With discharge, Zapdos' main job is mainly paralyzing as many fast threats as possible and leave them in Garchomp's mercy so I don't have to rage if scale shot misses. Heat wave is to melt Ferrothorn and other steels with defog to get rid of hazards and roost for longevity

fini.png

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 108 Def / 152 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness

Now, you might be wondering why I would put Tapu Fini and Rillaboom, who both have detrimental abilities to the main pokemon, on the same team as it. Well, that's because defog actually removes terrain now and it actually took me quite a few days before realizing that fact. With that in mind, if I plan to use Garchomp, then all I have to do is defog my own terrain away. Now, usually I wouldn't even bother with that since it gives a free switch and if I chose not to defog, then it hampers Garchomp. However, I usually use Fini in the early turns and it was chosen for one thing and one thing only, Zygarde containment. That snake is really annoying to deal with since it just glares everything in sight and hacks you to insanity. Fini was the most perfect answer for this since it blocks glare and utterly destroys Zygarde. It also provides me with a much needed secondary fighting resist and a dark resist. Scald is the main stab of choice since water hits nearly everything neutrally while moonblast is there for the pesky Zygarde this thing was chosen for. For the last slot, I chose to go with madness so as to cripple any switch ins to it by cutting their health in half. Defog is the most important move as to get rid of the terrain so that Garchomp's scale shot is at full power and for Zapdos to actually be able to spread paralysis. It's ev spread probably isn't the best of things but Fini is one of those pokemons that I was never able to fully figure out how to use so I just put a random spread on both defense and special defense since I want it to be bulky

hydre.png

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

For the final member of the team, I had three criteria I wanted to meet in order to choose the pokemon. The first was a choice scarfer for actual speed, a special attacker and a ghost resist. All three criteria were perfectly met by Hydreigon. So, why did I want a pokemon with those three things? Because of the four horsemen's loose ride, Spectrier. That horse is a major threat and just threatens to destroy my entire team. OU's resident dark types, Urshifu and I believe Tyranitar, are all ruined by will o wisp. This is the main reason I wanted a special attacker so I have a pokemon that completely counters that horse. Nasty plot variants of Spectrier are outsped and destroyed while scarf variants won't be able to put a scratch on it. Will o wisp is nothing more than a minor inconvenience for Hydreigon as it is not hinder by it that much. When I put it on the team, I didn't really expect anything other than to deal with that horse however, after the first few battles, Hydreigon completely surpassed all my expectations. It provided me with a much needed Kyurem check by switching in on the dragon dance and nuking it to death, it destroys faster threats like Pheromosa and soul dew Latis while at the same time dealing with Spectrier. These results also contributed as to why I'm not that aggressive with Garchomp anymore and it also made Hydreigon the mvp of the team. There are even times that I end up using Garchomp as a wallbreaker to leave the enemy's pokemon in range of dark pulse. As for the moveset, meteor and pulse are stabs for the faster threats I mentioned, earth power to murder Heatran and fire blast to melt steel types

garchomp-f.gif
rillaboom.gif
heatran.gif
zapdos.gif
tapufini.gif
hydreigon.gif

This team does not have the best synergy among its members but at least it's all manageable with defog. As I said, this team did perform really well and it's only real enemy isn't the opposing player but the rng. Somehow I find magma storm more reliable than scale shot or heat wave. So, suggestions would be much appreciated

Just some random request for any suggestions
- First, keep the scale shot Garchomp. I made this team around it so I'm gonna keep both its boosting moves. Other suggestions are welcome though
- As mentioned, Hydreigon is the mvp of the team. If it needs to be replaced, then please provide a very good explanation as to why as it's role is incredibly crucial
- While I did not mention it, Zapdos is the clear number two mvp of this team so if needs to be replaced, also provide a very good explanation and more importantly, a pokemon that can do similar jobs

One more thing, does anyone know where I can ask questions about showdown in the forums? There's a little something about it that's bother me and I need some help in fixing it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)