Pokémon Conkeldurr

IMG_4275.jpeg

Fighting
Base Stats: 105 HP / 140 ATK / 95 DEF / 55 SPA / 65 SPD / 45 SPE
Abilities: Guts | Sheer Force | Iron Fist (HA)
Notable Moves:
Body Slam
Brick Break
Bulk Up
Close Combat
Defog
Detect
Drain Punch
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Ice Punch
Knock Off
Mach Punch
Poison Jab
Rock Slide
Stone Edge
Thunder Punch

Pros:
  • Strong. Like, really strong
  • Great coverage to hit a wide variety of Pokemon, making it hard to switch into
  • It’s really, really strong
  • Drain Punch gives it good longevity, even when its using Guts w/ Flame Orb
  • Speaking of Flame Orb, it also lets it block status when running the item
  • Basically all of its abilities are good. It doesn’t use all of them, but they’re good
  • Its really fucking strong I can’t emphasize this enough, it has the same attack as Ursaluna
  • Unlike Ursaluna, Conkeldurr has a priority move, which is really handy in more offensive metas

Cons:
  • It’s really slow. Slower than Ursaluna in fact
  • Very frail on the special side
  • It being slow and specially frail means it can easily be overwhelmed
  • Due to this, it’s pressure outside of Mach Punch can be… questionable
  • It can’t even be funny and be a special attacker like Nidoking can
Tera Potential:
  • Tera Fighting for all the reasons you think
  • Tera Steel turns all of its weaknesses into resistances
  • Tera Normal boosts Facade, and it basically becomes Ursaluna
  • Actually you should probably use Tera Fighting lol
Set Potential:

Guts Wallbreaker
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Facade
- Knock Off

Guts boosted Facade is truly one of the moves of all time. You know Ursaluna? The physical one specifically? Yeah it’s basically that, but it has priority Mach Punch its pretty cool

Sheer Force Life Orb
Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Fighting
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat / Low Sweep / Drain Punch
- Ice Punch / Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
- Rock Slide / Earthquake / Ice Punch
- Mach Punch

To be honest, Sheer Force is one of my favorite abilities in the game. I’m not sure how good it is on Conk compared to Guts, but I hope its good because I think its a rad ability

The Little Defogger That Could
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Dark / Fire
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off / Fire Punch
- Mach Punch
- Defog

This is why I wanted to make the thread for this thing

Conkeldurr is one of the few Pokemon released in the DLC with Defog. The reason for why it has this move is… questionable.

Regardless, Conk never used this move in Gen 8 because so many other good things got it. However, Defog is now very scarce, and the users that are good are blocked by Gholdengo.

Conk doesn’t have good special bulk, but its good enough to where it can live one of Gholdengo’s attacks, and it OHKOs Ghold in return, which is the main draw.

Because Ghold is scared of Conk’s Knock Off, it likely won’t switch in against it. This gives Conk the perfect opportunity to Defog unbothered by Ghold. It only has to sacrifice one (1) moveslot for this.

Or you could just use Mandibuzz instead, whatever is easier

So its very likely powercreep has gotten too high, but Gurdurr has been a pretty decent Pokemon in lower tiers pre-SS due to its high bulk with Eviolite, decent Attack stat, and good moves in Mach Punch, Knock Off, and Drain Punch. I think it could be a sleeper hit this generation in the lower tiers. Tera largely benefits Bulky sweeper Pokemon, and Gurdurr fits the bill perfectly for this role with its trademark Bulk Up set. Of course, the higher Knock Off distribution will hurt it more than most other Pokemon I think since its so reliant on its Eviolite.

Brave could be a potential option as a nature if you utilise Trick Room with Hatterne. Tera Blast with Tera Steel could be utilised to have an effective attack against the likes of Iron Valiant with this strategy.

Connkeldurr undoubtedly suffers more than Infernape from there being quite a few viable Poison types and Tera Poison Pokes due to not having a secondary STAB. Like Magcargo said, the power creep has gotten a little too high for Conkeldurr to be an OU staple. Still see UU viability though.

I wonder if Assault Vest is still usable on this. It patches up your low Sp.Def and outside of Defog it doesn't really have much in the way of support moves it would want to run anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)