Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
This thread should be used for simple questions that need relatively simple answers. Those kinds of questions rarely lead to meaningful conversation. If you were considering posting in a thread to ask "What is a UM?" or making a new thread to ask "Why is [insert metagame here] not a UM?" I'd recommend asking those questions here instead. For simple questions related to Smogon ask here. For in-game help/info check the Orange Islands subforum. This section is for competitive discussion only.

When posting in this thread, please follow these guidelines:
  • Make sure your question is relevant to Unofficial Metagames.
  • Use the search feature to check if the question has been answered before.
  • Quote the question you are answering to help keep things organized.
  • Do not answer a question if you are unsure.
  • Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
Please make sure to read the FAQ below before asking your question. It may already be covered.
Q: What is a UM?
Any standard metagame that is not an official Smogon metagame. "Standard" just means it's playable on current gen cartridge games with legally obtainable teams.

Q: Can I submit a metagame to be a UM?
We are not accepting formal submissions at this time, but metagames can still be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you feel like you have such a proposal, DM me through Smogon or Discord (my discord name is medicham..

Q: Will ZU/AG be losing their tournament circuits?
Existing circuits are not going to be impacted other than having a seasonal count for both the general UM Circuit and the individual metagame circuits, respectively. Formalizing a hub for UMs is primarily to bring more attention to them and distinguish them from OMs, which is already a massive section as is. Another benefit is that success in the overall UM Circuit increases the chances that an UM can work towards having a ribbon circuit itself.

Last edited:
Could LGPE and BDSP become UMs in the future? As they are not part of the SS/SM circuit and are not included in SMPL/SSPL, that could possibly be a great opportunity for the LGPE and BDSP communities to have more visibility to be included in UMPL/UM Circuit, if of course they are fine with it

Isaiah

Here today, gone tomorrow
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
UM/OM Leader
Could LGPE and BDSP become UMs in the future? As they are not part of the SS/SM circuit and are not included in SMPL/SSPL, that could possibly be a great opportunity for the LGPE and BDSP communities to have more visibility to be included in UMPL/UM Circuit, if of course they are fine with it
This was actually brought up in the planning phase of trying to establish UMs, and my understanding is that UMs will only include what's playable in mainline current gen games, which LGPE and BDSP aren't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)